Chapter one

~One~

I woke up from feeling the sun peek through my windows onto my eyes. I sat up and stretched and rubbed my eyes and fell back into bed, it felt like there was no point in getting up since I wasn't going anywhere but I couldn't just lay in bed all day. So I got up and went to go brush my teeth, I didn't feel like taking a shower, so I stayed in my pajamas. I walked downstairs and into the kitchen, Nate was already in the kitchen.

"Good Morning," he said smiling.

"Morning," I replied. I noticed he was wearing his mechanic uniform for the day.

"Had a good night's sleep?" he asked. I watched him as he grabbed the eggs from the fridge and a frying pan from the cabinet, he placed the frying pan on the stove and cracked the eggs, I watched as the yolk went on the frying pan, sizzling.

"Yeah, I dreamed I was outside," I answered. He stopped his cooking and sighed.

"Ana, we went over this," he said using my nickname. I looked down at my hands and closed my eyes.

"I know," I whispered.

"One day the government will change their minds and you will be able to go outside and see the world and not just from your window," he said putting the scrambled eggs on my plate. He sat down across from me and put a hand on mine.

"When will that happen Nate, when I die and never got the chance to go outside!?" I exclaimed angrily.

"Look, one day people will start a rebellion about having more than one child and maybe they will give the people what they want and allow them to have more than one child and I can let the government see you and show them how proud I am to have a sibling," he said. Normally people would be touch by an amazing speech but I just snorted.

"Yeah right, do you know how much of a goodie goodie this town is?," I huffed and he rolled his eyes at me.

"You'd be surprised how much people want to have more than one kid," he said.

"Yeah but they don't have enough guts to say anything about it!" I yelled and he got angry with me.

"Ana, that's enough!" he yelled. I glared at him and crossed my arms. He sighed and his eyes softened at me.

"One day, you'll be able to go outside, I promise," he says softly. I gave him a soft look and spoke.

"And you won't have to suffer anymore," I said.

"I'm not suffering," he said glaring at me.

"You have been taking care of me for seventeen years," I said. My brother was eight when my mother got pregnant with me, now he's twenty four.

"It wasn't just me!" he yelled

"I was a baby when Aunt Melissa took care of me so you're the only one who remembers her and you told me stories about her so she doesn't count!" I exclaimed.

"How can you fucking say that, she was the one that kept you alive!" he yelled.

"You are my only family! You were the only one I remember everyday when you got home! I always waited for someone else to come through that door and when they didn't, you would tell me stories about how our family disgraced us because of me and only one person cared out of our huge family and that was Aunt Melissa and it hurts because I never got to meet her so don't you dare tell me I don't care!" I screamed.

I got up from my seat, stormed up the stairs and slammed the door in my room. I grabbed my pillow and screamed in it. He doesn't understand me! I only remember him and only him. He told me everything that happened to me; how our mother wanted more kids and how she gave birth to me in this house because the hospital already knew she had a child and they would have killed me and my mother for that. So she stayed in the house for nine months, giving my brother money for the things she needed.

That's when the sickness started spreading and it got to her, I remember my brother telling me how scared he was for us. He did everything to keep my mother healthy because she asked him to and when it was time, he had to deliver me. That's when my mother died and she never got to hold me or name me. At that time my father was at war after my mom found out she was pregnant with me, he was fighting because people were starting a rebellion about how we were living. So he never met me. So he died a few days after I was born, my brother didn't know what to do with my mother's body because he didn't know how to explain all the blood and when he got the letter that my father died, a few family members went to go and console my mother and my brother. So when my brother opened the door and they went inside the house and saw my mother's body on the floor, they had assumed he had killed her but then I started crying and he went to try and calm me down. He had explained to them everything that happened and they were disgusted with my mother, not wanting anything to do with us.

So they took my mother's body and left. My brother was left alone and he was scared but the next day, Aunt Melissa ranged our doorbell and told us how she wanted to help us since she had a baby a few days before I was born but died due to sickness and how she still had breast milk and became a wet nurse for me. She took care of me for a few weeks but then the sickness came back and went to her and she died instantly. So it was my brother from then on who took care of me, and gave me my name after I got really sick and close to near death but got saved from God, so my brother named me Anastasia.

I was grateful towards him and I couldn't live without my brother and when he would tell me all these stories about how it all went, I couldn't believe he stuck with me throughout all these. I snapped out of my thoughts when I heard a knock on my door, I walked towards my door and opened it, revealing Nate staring at me.

"I'm sorry about our fight," he said sheepishly.

"Me too and it wasn't your fault, it was mine and I'm being selfish," I said.

"No, you just want to go outside," he said. I smiled at him and gave him a hug.

"How do you put up with me?," I asked.

"Your my little sister, I have to put up with you," he said grinning. I laughed and released him from the hug.

"Aren't you late?," I asked. He stared at his watch and his eyes widen.

"Shit, you're right!," he exclaimed. He ran down the stairs but stopped mid way.

"Don't you dare paint the walls again!," he threatened. I looked at my walls that used to be filled with paintings but he had to take them out.

"No promises," I said grinning. He glared at me but then ran down the stairs. I just grinned and went to my bed, ready to do the same I always did: nothing.