Chapter 4

Chapter 4

After around four hours later we had watched all three Toy Story movies. By that time I was half way dead and Liam was almost asleep. He yawned and stretched his arms over his head.

"What time is it," he asked sleepily. I looked at the clock on my phone before replying.

"About two in in the afternoon."

"Don't you think it's about time for lunch?" he asked. I nodded but didn't attempt to get up.

"Help yourself to anything in the fridge or pantry," I said gesturing towards the kitchen.

He looked at me for a minute before saying," Aren't you going to eat?"

"No."

He furrowed his brows and continued staring at me. "When was the last time you had anything?"

I thought back. This morning I didn't have breakfast, I didn't have anything yesterday because I couldn't eat, and the day before that I hadn't had lunch or supper because of the little scene I had come across in Gunner's house.

"Breakfast the day before yesterday." I didn't feel hungry though, just kind of empty.

Liam sighed and said, "You need to eat. It's not good for you to go without eating, and plus you're sick so you need extra vitamins and minerals."

I rolled my eyes at him. "Fine, I'll eat a little bit, but I'm not hungry."

Liam smiled at me and disappeared into the kitchen. I watched the credits from the movie roll across the tv screen while there were sounds of cooking in the kitchen.

A few minutes later Liam came back into the living room with two bowls of alphabet soup. I sat up as he handed me my bowl.

He ate in silence for a few minutes and I couldn't help but notice he was eating with a fork. I pushed the food around in my bowl, but didn't attempt to actually put anything in my stomach. I looked up to see Liam intently studying me and felt my cheeks warm and looked back down at my soup.

"Kassie, what's wrong? You haven't eaten for two days and you look like a lost puppy," Liam said.

I sighed and pushed my bowl away. The only guy I had ever loved broke my heart into a million pieces. Most girls would pour their hearts out at this opportunity, but for some reason I felt as though if I didn't say it, it would somehow undo itself. Like Gunner would magically become faithful again and my heart would cease to be broken.

Thinking back, I probably could've seen the signs. The cocky smiles at certain girls we would see, once he even mistakenly sent me a text message that was supposed to go to a different girl. My failure to see those signs depressed me even further.

"My boyfriend cheated on me. I don't want to talk about it," I whispered. I looked up and saw Liam's big brown eyes. Before I could catch myself, I broke down crying once again. He put his arms around me and I melted into his warm chest.

We sat there for several minutes, with me staining his grey t-shirt with tears. I pulled away, feeling humiliated. What surprised me was that his eyes were kind of misty too.

"Why are you crying?" I sniffled. His lips pulled up into a wry smile.

"My girlfriend and I broke up a few weeks ago," he replied, with a tinge of regret in his voice. He pulled out his phone and brought up a picture of him and a pretty blonde girl smiling into the camera.

"Her name is Bridget," he said looking thoughtfully at the screen.

"Why'd you have to end it?" I asked.

He put his phone back in the pocket of his jeans and sighed. "She had to move back with her family in San Francisco. We decided it would be best to end it so we wouldn't have to keep up with a long distance relationship," he said sadly.

I wasn't exactly sure what to say to that, so I awkwardly hugged him. "I'm sorry, Liam." He warmly smiled at me.

"Maybe it was for the better, we weren't getting along very well," he said.

I looked squeezed his hand and gave him a small smile. He returned it and helped me wash the dishes in the kitchen. I was thankful that he didn't seem to notice how I hadn't eaten hardly any of it.

Since my little crying episode seemed to have completely drained me, I decided to go to bed. I told Liam that my mom was out of town, and then he declared himself my nurse until I got better. Despite my protests, he wouldn't let me argue with him.

He also wouldn't agree to sleeping in one of the beds. I set him up with a few blankets on the couch, trying to make it as comfortable as possible. By the time everything was set up, I was about to fall asleep. I left Liam in the living room to watch tv and went up to bed.

I pulled the covers around me and tried to fall asleep. After tossing and turning for what seemed like hours, I decided to check my twitter.

Twitter was pretty much a ghost town, except for a few pictures that were tweeted of Gunner and the girl wearing the sweater from the other day. I turned off my laptop and cried myself to sleep. As much as I hated to think, I knew deep down inside that I still loved him.

The next morning I woke up an went downstairs to ask Liam if he slept well. I was greeted by an empty couch with folded up blankets at the end. There was a folded piece of paper on top of them.

"Kassie,

While you were sleeping I went to my place to shower and grab a change of clothes. I'm hoping you stay asleep but if you don't I didn't want you to worry.

~Liam"

So that's where he went. I decided to take a quick shower too since he was gone. Getting under the warn spray, I started thinking about everything.

Why would someone I just met be so nice to me? Not that I didn't appreciate his kindness, but to me it seemed strange that he so willingly volunteered to take care of me. While I tried to think of a logical explanation, the hot water started turning cold and I realized I had been in the shower for quite awhile.

I got out and put my hair up in a towel. Deciding that it would be another sick day, I didn't apply any makeup and threw on a pair of baggy sweatpants and a worn old t-shirt. I went downstairs and Liam was back, with a fresh outfit and smelling of some type of cologne.

I wrapped up in a blanket at the end of the couch and Liam sat next to me watching some show on tv. We hadn't been sat down for very long when there was an urgent knock on the door. I looked to see Penelope's car in the driveway.

I had forgot to text her yesterday, so she was probably off her rocker worried about me. I got ready to open the door and instructed Liam to stand back.

"Prepare yourself for the hurricane," I said before opening the door to my very worried best friend.

****** Thanks for reading!! I don't really have an excuse for not updating besides family stuff... But I tried to make it longish. I think I failed at that. Hopefully the next chapter will be updated soon but it's my turn to write the chapter for Away From Home.

Dedicated to @Caligurl13 for making Liam's ex-girlfriend.

Please vote and comment if you liked it!

~Kalyn=)