Chatper 1

My hazel eyes stared back at me as I applied my black eyeliner and mascara, making the color turn a darker shade of grayish green, perfect I thought to myself. I went into my closet to pull on my skinny jeans and a pink v-neck shirt before pulling a hoodie over it. I looked out my window once more to see the fog settling, I knew it was going to be muggy all day, this was after all Texas fall weather. Muggy weather meant that my red unruly hair was going to be extra difficult today, so I grabbed my Yankees cap from the rack on my door to complete my look.

I guess I should take a minute to introduce myself. I am Roslyn Wren Kohlepple, 16 year old junior at Haven High school in Haven, Texas and this is the story of my messed up life, okay well I have a normal life, but some messed up things happened in my seemingly normal life, but that comes later.

Basic info, I have an older brother, Ryder who is a senior this year and 18. My brother is the ultimate man's man, he's tall, muscular, plays football like a god, and has all the girls falling at his feet, plus he's the best big brother ever. My mother is kind of a hippie, which is weird at times, but she's cool, all about not having rules, dad is sort of the same, laid back, unless we get into trouble and then he's a regular hard ass. He owns his own construction company, in fact, he built our house, mom is a writer of travel books, which is weird, but it means that her and my dad travel quite a bit and on holidays Ryder and I get to go.

As far as my social life I hang with my brother and his friends, it's like a testosterone fest and I have a front row seat for all the stupid shit they do and I am like one of the guys, have been since we were younger. I do have girl friends though; I mean I can be girly when I want to be...which is almost never. My best friend is Jacque or some days Jacqueline, once she made me refer to her as goddess divine, but that lasted all of two seconds, we are total opposites which is why I love her. I am a cheerleader, which I know kind of goes against the whole being a tomboy thing, but I love it. Anyway, back to the story of my messed up life.

As I tugged my hat over my unruly hair I heard my brother, Ryder, calling me, "LYN!," he screamed, "If you don't hurry up we are going to be late," I could hear him stomping up the steps to my door before he burst through it.

"Bub," I said turning to look at him, "I'm coming, hold your horses," I smiled as he rolled his eyes at me.

"You know," he said putting his hands on his hips, "this would not happen if you would just wake up when your alarm clock went off."

I turned to look at him, my big brother was just that, big, standing 6 foot 4 muscles bulging pretty much everywhere he was very intimidating, just not to me.

"But then I would miss out on your awesome wake up calls," I smiled, as he shook his head at me.

"Hurry your butt up Lyn," he smiled, "or I'm leaving you here."

I tucked one errant hair back under the cap before grabbing my bag, "I'm ready Bub!" We went down the stairs, walking side by side nudging each other and laughing.

"Did mom make breakfast?" I asked looking up at him.

"Yea," he answered simply, apparently he was not going to elaborate.

"Okay," I smiled as we entered the kitchen to see our mother in her hippie nightgown that swayed at her feet as she ran around the kitchen.

"Morning kids!" she said excitedly.

"Morning mom," we both grumbled before grabbing the muffins on the counter. "Bye mom," we both yelled as we stepped out side.

"Have a great day!" she called.

"Is she aware that we are going to school?" I asked.

"I guess not," my brother said.

"Dude," I heard a voice call from in front of us and I rolled my eyes, it was Grady, my mortal enemy, brother's best friend, neighbor, and hands down the hottest guy in school. Hey I can say that, I am a girl, contrary to popular belief. "Wait for me," he yelled running over to us. I watched him as I put on my sun glasses to hide my prying eyes.