Chapter 41

“Are you sure you want to do this?” the question seemed inane coming from her.

            “Yes,” my voice was quiet as we walked through the halls.

            “You’re sure?” I turned incredulous eyes on her.

            “Why are you trying to talk me out of this?” she shifted on her feet. “You’ve done it.”

            “That is no reason to just do it,” she balked.

            “I’m not just doing it,” I sighed, sweeping my hair off my neck. “I’ve thought a lot about this.”

            “Really?” she eyed me thoughtfully.

            “Yea,” I pushed my bangs from my forehead. “But,” she crossed her arms over her chest, already preparing to give me the I-told-you face, “will you do it with me?”

            Her jaw dropped, practically to the floor. “You want me to help you do it?”

            “Well you’ve done it before,” I shrugged. “Please,” I pouted.

            “Roslyn don’t give me that face,” she turned away with a scoff, but out of the corner of her eye she watched me. “You are so lucky I love you,” she turned back to me and I jumped into her arms.

            “You are the best,” I kissed her cheek loudly, causing heads to turn toward us in the gym.

            “I know, I know,” she pushed me off of her. “Now when are we doing this?”

            “Tomorrow?”

            “That soon?” again she balked.

            “Yea,” I nodded, still a little unsure, “I really want to be ready for his birthday.”

            “Okay then,” she seemed reluctant.

            “Where were you today?” Grady curled up next to me in bed.

            “Jacque and I went shopping,” the lie slipped out easily.

            “For a certain someone’s birthday present?” his eyes twinkled.

            “Maybe?” I laughed, pushing him onto his back.

            “Are you going to tell me what you got me?” he pulled me down on his chest.

            “Nope,” I smiled, snuggling down further, knowing that no matter how much I wanted to kiss him right then I needed to hold off. I wanted everything to be perfect.

            “You are so very cruel,” his fingers tangled in my hair, “but I love you.”

            “Uh hmm,” I nodded, my cheek brushing across his exposed chest and the little breath I heard him suck in was enough to know he would love my gift.

            “Are you excited about turning eight teen?” I propped my head up so that I could look down at him.

            “It’s just a number Ros,” he chuckled, but his muscles flexed deliciously under my finger tips.

            “It’s a big deal GG,” I pouted, trying to seem unaware of my finger nail scraping across his distended nipple.

            “Not really,” finally his struggle was revealed in his voice. It didn’t happen all that often, but when his voice dipped like that it made my toes curl.