Held Back for a Small Meeting

On the tenth, Han shi and Fen Dai also went to pay respects in the morning and evening. Because of Feng Jin Yuan and Kang Yi's marriage being set in stone, the matriarch chose this day to announce it to everyone in the Feng family.

Although everyone already understood, guesses were one thing, while hearing it directly from the matriarch was another. Han shi and Fen Dai's faces immediately collapsed. Jin Zhen once again lifted her handkerchief to wipe away tears.

Fen Dai was annoyed with Jin Zhen's appearance with wiping away tears, so she could not help but sarcastically say: "Aren't you quite fierce? Coaxing father to visit your Ru Yi courtyard every day, so why do you not have that ability now that you're against an eldest princess? Ever since that eldest princess entered the manor, father hasn't gone to your courtyard even once, right?"

Jin Zhen gritted her teeth. With her eyes red, she felt wronged even more.

The matriarch already disliked Fen Dai, so how could she tolerate hearing such things. She could not help but quietly snort and say: "Eldest princess entering the manor and whether a concubine is favored or not are two different matters! She has come to be the head wife. If you have the ability, you can continue to try and earn his favor."

"But why does she get to become the head wife?"

The matriarch looked at Fen Dai with a gaze that was filled with incredulity: "Could it be that you feel that the family's concubines can be promoted to the position of head wife?"

Fen Dai glanced at Chen Yu then coldly said: "It's not like it hasn't happened before."

"Idiot!" The matriarch trembled with anger, "The Chen family is a proper family. What sort of background does your concubine mother have? Are you not clear on that matter?"

This was clearly a personal attack, thus after Jin Zhen wiped away her tears, Han shi also began to cry. Her cries were unlike Jin Zhen's. With Jin Zhen, it only rained, but there was no thunder. Han shi's cries could be considered very awkward.

The matriarch was frightened and quickly scolded: "The manor is celebrating a joyous matter. What are you crying for? If you injure the Feng family's child in your belly, I will humiliate you!"

This caused Han shi to freeze with fear. Sobbing, she finally managed to stop herself. The matriarch then said: "I know that you will have a hard time accepting this for a while. It's fine if you feel uncomfortable on the inside, but you must appear to be happy! Remember your own statuses. I have never heard of a man needing to worry about what a concubine says when looking for a wife."

Fen Dai was unwilling to accept it and said: "What if the eldest princess has ulterior motives?"

"What sort of ulterior motives could she have?" The matriarch glared at Fen Dai and said: "That is a foreign country's princess. In terms of wealth, she has more than we do. In terms of support, she has a better one. What intentions could she have? As for you, you must think carefully. With this sort of first wife, your future will be much better than it was with Chen shi!"

Once this was said, Chen Yu's face immediately sank a little, but she managed to recover almost immediately. Instead, she helped the matriarch help console Fen Dai: "Grandmother is right. Our future marriages will rely on our family for support. Fourth sister must think a little about this reasoning. Even if concubine mother was able to ascend to that position, our future marriages definitely could not be as good as with a foreign country's eldest princess taking care of them."

She had specifically analyzed this problem based on her own interests. Only Fen Dai continued to worry about herself. Chen Yu's words had struck at her sore spot. Thinking that there was most likely no more hope with the fifth prince, her future would rely on what her family said. If the person who ascended to that spot was Han shi, based on Han shi's connections, what sort of nice family would she be able to find.