Chapter One

Disclaimer: We do not own Harry Potter or anything mentioned in the series, JK Rowling does. However, anything you do not recognize is probably ours. 

Chapter 1: Unexpected Surprises

Lily's Point of View

It was pitch black outside. It was nearly eight o'clock at night, but it felt as though it should be midnight. The day was just dragging on and on. Our town has been pretty dull lately, but that's mainly because summer wasn't a popular time for tourists to visit. Salem, Massachusetts thrived during the fall. Tourists came from all over the world, especially around Halloween. Summer vacation was coming to an end which meant it was about time to go back to school. I didn't seem to hate school as much as everyone else did. I liked the social aspect of it all and the beginning of school only meant that soccer season was approaching. My sister was anxious to go back to school being the bookworm she was. My two closest friends didn't feel that way at all though. They've been wanting to rewind summer back to the beginning.

I was sleeping over my best friend Nicolette Eclipse's house with my sister and our friend Bella. It was a typical weekend for us, though we were running out of things to do. I looked across the room and Nikki was lying across the white couch while reading a book she came across in the library, The Salem Witchcraft Trials. "Hey," she called to us. "Listen to this 'The Salem Witchcraft trials took place in 1692, Witches, Warlocks, and innocent humans were hung, stoned, tarred, and killed in many tortuous ways for being accused. It first started when a woman was accused of practicing witchcraft and then people started to get paranoid, accusing everyone in sight.' Kind of harsh don't you think?" We always talked about the witch trials in school and the four of us were fascinated by it. It was an important part of our town's history. It was the reason so many people were attracted to visting on Halloween. Nikki was always going on about it. She wanted to get a job in a few years at the Museum.

"Do you really believe that though?" Alaina, my younger sister, asked while pushing her curly brown hair out of her face. Alaina and I may look as if we were twins with our dark brown extremely curly hair and fair skin, but we did not have much in common. Alaina was the smart one, even though she was a year below me. No matter how many B pluses or A minuses I got, I was out done by my four point zero GPA sister. At least I had the social skills. Alaina kept to our small group of four. I liked to hang out with other people from time to time.

"Of course I believe it," Nikki replied like it was the answer to two plus two. "They have records of the people they killed."

"No," Alaina continued. "I mean about there being real witches?"

"I do," Bella added. "You don't?" Bella Stone was another close friend of mine. She was in the same year as Alaina. Like Nikki, Bella was really into learning about magic and witches. I guess there was no better place for them to live than here in Salem.

"No, I do...I just, I don't know. I'm confused over it all. You know, science?" Alaina answered with a shrug and then slid back down onto the floor turning her attention to the TV screen. Alaina and I were a alike in that area. We both were fascinated by our town's dark history, but isn't wasn't a true obsession of ours. 

"Same," I agreed with my sister. "I believe that there was some form of 'witchcraft'. I just don't know if it was from people wanting to be witches or real witches. But you do know they said it was just about jealous neighbors starting rumors." Everyone around me shrugged and we went back to watching the television.

About an hour passed by and our movie was ending. "So..." Nikki said speaking up. "What do you guys want to do?" We all just shrugged in response. What more was there to do? This entire summer we've completed our to-do list and now there is nothing left besides sitting around watching T.V. "Come on! Think of something, what can we do at ten o'clock? We can't drive or go anywhere." Just a few more years until we could get our licenses. Maybe then we could think of a few more things to do.