Chapter 6

Chapter 6

"What's with you Miss Smiley," Jess my best friend laughed as I walked into the paediatric reception.

"Oh nothing." I laughed, logging onto the computer.

"Doesn't have anything to do with Calum coming home does it?" She smirked, sitting beside me.

"What? How do you know?" I laughed.

"Eva I'm going to be honest with you, I am a crazy One Direction fan like I follow that band with my life therefore for that reason I know a lot about Calum's band so I know that they cancelled and I also know your little secret."

"secret?" I laughed, "Jess you're such a drama queen I don't have a secret."

"Eva the fandom is like better than the FBI it's everywhere."

I held my head in my hands "I didn't want anybody to know yet." I sighed. "Do I really want to hear the things though?"

She pursed her lips together, "I don't think so." She dropped her head as her pager rang. "I'm sorry." She quickly dropped her stuff and ran to the room she was being paged from.

I picked up my clipboard, deciding to call Calum on my break and started on my rounds.

"Good morning." I smiled, "How are you today?"

"Better." The little girl nodded, "How are you today?"

"I'm very good thank you." I laughed, "you're definitely doing much better, the last time I saw you you were screaming and telling me to stop annoying you."

"I'm sorry." She smiled.

"So how was your medicine last night?"I asked as the little girls Mum entered the room.

"I never woke up and it was fine." She nodded.

"I'm glad to here that." I smiled. "Have you got any questions?" I asked her Mum.

"I don't think so." She smiled, "I've seen an improvement in her."

"Judging by the improvement over the past few days I definitely think it'll be tomorrow she gets home."

They thanked me and I left to quickly move onto my next patient.

A premature baby under observations after coming off of antibiotics.

I took a deep breath before opening the door and walking inside.

"Good morning." I smiled again walking over, "how have things been?"

"She's been good," Her Parents nodded looking over at her.

"She's looking a lot better." I agreed, washing my hands with the antibacterial hand gel. "Do you mind if I do her obs?"

"Of course not."

I walked over and delicately placed thermometer under her arm. It beeped and I nodded, "Her temperature is fine and her blood pressure and heart rate is definitely almost normal."

I checked her nose cannula quickly to find everything working clearly, "Everything is well but obviously because she's so young we'll need multiple good days in a row before we can think about letting her home."

"Thank you." They smiled.

"It's no problem."

* * * * *

I walked into the cubicle where a little girl had just been brought in with an eye infection.

I introduced myself quickly to her parents who were holding her refusing body down on the bed and started to help the nurses put in her cannula.