until execution do us part | Erwin Smith

General information:

Erwin Smith x Male!Reader

warning(s): season 3 spoilers! dark themes such as death - i mean it's aot/snk after all

reader info: the reader will go by he/him/his pronouns. the reader is also a part of the garrison.

word count: 1369

other info: this work addresses the main plot of the series. please note that this is also posted on my quotev. this is not beta read, so please excuse me if you see any mistakes.

-

Everything felt as if it was on the brink of exploding.

The room was filled with heavy and dusty air which made every breath you took heavier than the last. Filled tension- thick and violent, the room swallowed everyone up in a cocoon. Almost as if the tension was blending with the warm air to force its way down everyone’s lungs and suffocate every person present.

The stones churning in your stomach felt heavier too by every second that passed. Why couldn’t the council ‘decide’ Erwin’s fate quicker? Everyone knew that they wanted to see his limp body dangling from the gallows.

Every second you counted passed by slower and slower until you knew you were on the brink of a panic attack. It would end with you either collapsing on the floor in a mix between sobs and hiccups or ending up spewing up your guts all over the floor.

No in-between didn’t exist at the moment. 

Blood filled your mouth after the harsh bite the inside of your cheek suffered from. You had to focus. If you had a panic attack in this exact moment, Erwin’s plan would crumble to nothing but dust.

After a quick swipe of your eyes from where you were standing without moving your body too much, that would be seen as suspicious, the crushing stones in your stomach decreased some.

Two council members sent each other concerned expressions while glancing towards your one armed, bruised, bloody and kneeling fiancé. Erwin’s words had affected them after all. Now everything depended on the final motion to happen.

You also noticed a certain military police commander staring holes in the back of Erwin’s head. His whole demeanour was skittish and frightened, as if your fiancé was a ticking bomb ready to explode any moment.

Nile Dok was a good man.

He valued his job, his duty, the last of humanity’s best chance of survival and not to mention his family. 

As your eyes raked the nervous wreck of a man up and down, it suddenly hit you why Erwin had chosen him as a starting point.

No matter how duty-filled he was, Nile was still your everyday man who would do anything for his family.

The gears were spinning in his head and judging by how calm Erwin looked, he knew his words had taken effect. It was just a question of time.

Yet the uneasy, slimy and sticky lump in your gut hadn’t washed away along with the big chunk of nervousness that disappeared after seeing Nile in his own dreadful state.

If this plan of Erwin’s hadn’t succeeded, had he really thought that you would quietly watch him get executed and pretend like nothing ever happened? Did he really think that your secret relationship which recently had escalated into an engagement would disappear just as secretly along with him six feet under? Had he really thought you would stand quietly beside your chief commander Pyxis and watch him be escorted towards his own death without shedding a single tear?