(22)

Amalia was busy with something different after school for the rest of the week. It might have bothered me more if I hadn't been so focused on the home coming game.

It wasn't that she wasn't allowed to have a life. I just missed seeing her outside of school.

Sitting beside her in class and eating at the bleachers before practice and was great.

But I wished she'd accept my offer to take her out for dinner. Or eat her out for dinner. Either or.

When Friday came around, the entire school was buzzing about tonight's events. Football was a big deal.

Teachers, students, parents of students, everyone got in the spirit with banners, face paint and the school colours. Which were dark blue and silver.

But apart from the fact it was the first game of the season and there was an undeniable element of excitement surrounding our game, people were also enthused because Mom and Dad would be present.

Dad wasn't just a local celebrity because of his time spent being the Dallas Cowboys quarterback.

He was an international superstar for just being himself. He and Mom were thrust into the spotlight from the moment he was drafted after college.

When the media discovered he was the son of retired quarterback, Leroy Lahey, they were intrigued to get some insight into his life after Grandpa had disappeared from the spotlight.

Apparently the world went wild for his good looks and charm. As well as his high school sweetheart, otherwise known as Mom.

Their relationship was an interest to the public for being young, hot and rich. It would seem that people feed from that sort of content because nothing had changed.

Now we were all followed on our social media. Mom and Dad even mentioned that when the three of us were toddlers, they had been approached about a reality television show.

Mom and Dad declined. Something about needing some sort of private life. As it was, Dad had struggled with the knowledge that the public were so invested in our lives.

He worried it made us kids vulnerable to people that might want to hurt us. Which is the reason we'd gone to private schools with decent security and outings outside of gated communities required security detail. That was until recently.

We were still a 'famous family' but it wasn't as insane as it was when we were kids and Dad was still playing for the NFL. We had our own audiences now and Mom and Dad spent less time in front of cameras and on red carpets for events.

Mom still judged on her dance show but other than that, she was at home a lot. She claimed she'd never been big on socialising.

Our pep rally started after school at four on the dot. The cheerleaders were losing their fucking minds about routines and insisting we collaborate into their steps.

Lisa wanted us to partner up so I could throw her in the air and catch her again during the line up. It wasn't uncommon for the cheerleaders to perform during the pep rallies.

But we did our own thing. Now there seemed to be some last minute dash to arrange something new and unplanned.

Leo, the captain and quarterback told them it wasn't going to happen this time around and they should have organised it sooner.

Thank fuck because I didn't feel like putting a shoulder out while I threw one of those girls into the air.

There's no disregarding their athleticism. Some of the shit I've seen them do would put us to shame. They are pure muscle and heavier than they look.