2 hours ago

"Welcome aboard! Please let me know if you need anything. Your seat is past the arch and to your right." The flight attendant's over-cheery, over-eager voice slightly irritated me, but I forced a polite smile before turning to walk down the aisle.

The plane was small, and I found myself getting slightly claustrophobic in the narrow aisle. The seats were green with a subdued polka-dot pattern. I had read somewhere that green was the most calming color, which is why it is found so often in hospitals and dentist's offices. If that why the seats are green? For passengers like me with a fear of flying? Yes, I am aware that car crashes occur more often than plane crashes, but I couldn't help but feel a little on-edge flying over the ocean.

I had flown only twice before. It was when I was fourteen years old and I flew to and from Disney World. I remember staring out the window into the clouds and my breath catching in my throat. I seized up and fainted. It's been 12 years, and the highest in the air I've been since then is the 8th floor of my older brother's apartment building.

When I got to my seat, I was thrilled to see that it was a window seat (note the heavy sarcasm). Reluctantly, I flung my two black roller suitcases into the overhead compartments and took my seat. I allowed myself to stare out the window at the runway for a few seconds before slamming down the window cover.

"Morning," an unfamiliar voice beside me greeted. I turned my head to see a large, jolly-looking woman. She had to have been at least sixty-years-old. The creases in her face were deepened from the shadows cast on her face by the overhead lights. Her dark skin was dry and cracked as if she hadn't put on lotion in a long time. "Beautiful day to fly." I wasn't exactly sure what she meant by that statement, but I uttered polite agreement as she took her seat next to mine.

The silence that ensued what slightly awkward. She kept tapping her chubby, vein-webbed hand on her knee in an impatient way. It made me even more anxious than I already was.

I was, of course, excited to be going home. Who wouldn't be? It's the only reason I was able to work up the courage to step into this hollow air-monster. I wass excited to check out the internship program at Mercy Vale Hospital. I was born and raised in England but went to America for med school. My heart leaped at the thought of going back home, to see my parents. 

Suddenly, shouting ensued from the front of the plane.

"I said, I want vodka! Is it that hard?"

"Sir, I'm going to need you to take your seat," said the perky flight attendant.

The man scoffed. "Or what? You'll throw me off the plane?"

"If it comes down to that," the flight attendant's voice wavered as if she was unsure of this statement. I heard the man begin to stomp through the aisle.

When he came into my sight, his eyes were bloodshot and his hair was tousled. A scowl settled on his face as he slumped into his chair across the aisle from me. No luggage. Just his person. I didn't like the looks of him. It made me even more nervous that there was a weird, angry man sitting so close to me on a plane.

After what seemed like a long time, the flight attendant came over the intercom. In her perky voice, she said, "We are preparing to take off. Please turn off any and all electronics and fasten your seatbelts. Thank you!"

I tightened my seatbelt until I could barely breathe and closed my eyes. This was going to be a long ride.