Chapter 18

I talked things through with dad after Chris left. He advised me just to be careful if I still wanted to get back with Chris because he said and I quote "once a cheat, always a cheat" but he also said I should give him the benefit of a doubt and not to condemn him so quickly.
Its been three days since I last heard from Chris and grads is in two days so I decided to visit Chris to give him my answer. I've thought about the whole situation and decided to give us another chance.
I dressed up in a dress and sandals, applied my lip gloss, left my hair down and grabbed my purse, phone and my car keys.
"Dad I'm off to Christian's house. I'll be back later for lunch"
"Ok baby, drive safe and be careful" he replied kissing my forehead
Throughout the drive, I thought about what I was going to say. Surely our relationship won't be the same but we can make it work right???
It wasn't until I stopped at a familiar building that I realized amidst my rambling thoughts I managed to drive to Christian's house safely.
I got down from the car and willed myself to calm down. I don't know why I am having second thoughts about this; maybe its because of what my dad said?? Once a cheat, always a cheat. Could that be true? Am I making the right decision by getting back with him? What if he cheats again? Would I be able to handle my second heartbreak??
Pushing away my negative thoughts, I walked to the front door and to my surprise, it was open. Chris never leaves his door open when he's at home. Maybe he decided to leave it open.
I let myself in and almost tripped over something. I caught myself in time and saw heels??? Chris lives alone and he doesn't have a sister which only points to one thing- Chris has a woman in his apartment.
Swallowing my tears, I strained my ears for any sound but heard nothing. I looked in the kitchen and saw two glass cups empty with a bottle of beer that was half empty which means that he surely had a guest over. His car was parked outside showing he was still in this house.
The only possible place they could be would be his room since the other places were empty. I moved towards the direction of his room making no sound and prepared myself for whatever might be going on in there.
As I neared the door that was slightly ajar, I heard moaning from inside and some of their clothings were outside. I recognized Christian's shirt and the girl's skirt....it looked like Emily's but I still wanted to be sure.
I walked in and saw them- Emily's strawberry blond hair fanned around her face and sticking to her body because of the exercise both of them were clearly engaged in oblivious of me watching them. Their remaining garments were strewn across the room and the bedspread was already rumpled but none of them cared as they enjoyed themselves. Their moaning was all that filled the room and I struggled not to cry but I couldn't hold it in.
Christian was the first one to look up and when he saw me his eyes widened like saucers. Before he could say anything Emily beat him to it.
"Charlotte you should have known better than to come back. The first time it happened wasn't a mistake and you can see that it will keep happening again. You starved your man and he went looking elsewhere for something you couldn't possibly give him. We are together as you can see and really happy. So if you would excuse us, we have something to get back too" she said smiling but it wasn't a warm smile, it was a cold one that matched the tone of her voice.
I can't take this anymore. As I dashed out of the room I heard Chris calling my name but I couldn't answer him. Why would he do this the second time?? He cheated on me because we didn't have sex? Is that all what this is about? I am still a virgin and I plan on keeping it till the right man comes along but he never even asked me for sex. We make out a lot but he knows I am not yet ready to get that intimate. If that was troubling him, why didn't he just voice out his complaints? Why resort to cheating??
I left quietly the same way I came and made it to my car. As I started it up, I saw Chris by the window in only his boxers begging but I wasn't having none of that, not when he cheated again. Ignoring him, I started driving off when I saw Emily in Christian's shirt smiling triumphantly and all that came to my mind was my dad's words 'once a cheat, always a cheat'. He was absolutely correct.

      --------------------------------------------

"Baby hurry up or we'll be late for your graduation"
"I'm coming dad, I just want to finish up my makeup"
Its graduation already and as much as I'm happy I'm leaving college I was dreading this day because I'll have to see Emily and Christian. For the past two days I switched off my phone because I didn't want to see his calls or text messages and I avoided going out so as not to mistakenly encounter any of them. I told my dad all that happened and he understood but it took a lot of begging for him not to 'deal with Christian' as he put it. I had no idea of what he wanted to do but I knew it wouldn't be good and I just honestly wanted to move on without any more drama.
Dad already made plans for us to move to Paris after my graduation.  He figured that I needed a fresh start with nothing to remind me of my troubles. It would be easier going about my life in Paris without anything reminding me of everything that has happened. I accepted readily as I just finished college so I would be able to get a job and have a new start.
I already got rid of my clothes; apart from a few of mum's clothes and changed my wardrobe. I wanted to forget everything as I leave this place.
"Baby are you not done yet?" Dad was just by the door of my room.
"I'm almost done, its just my mascara and lipgloss left"
He came closer to where I was and looked directly at my reflection in the mirror.
"Baby you are beautiful already as you are. You look exactly like her, I'm sure she will be so proud of you" he said with his voice breaking a little at the end.
I knew exactly who he was talking about. It was in rare moments like this we always remember her. I miss her so much but I can't afford to cry now.
"Dad now is not the time please....let's get through my graduation and deal with this please"
"Ok baby"
"And I don't want to ruin my makeup" that earned a chuckle from him and I smiled.
Together we walked to the car and drove off to school where the graduation is to take place. I prepared myself emotionally for this because no matter how I hid myself these past two days, I couldn't avoid Christian and Emily today.
The day couldn't have gone any faster; it was painfully slow and each time I look up I am met with Emily's icy stare and beside her is Christian. They are wearing matching outfits again. I had to keep my head down most of the time to avoid seeing them together. I'll have to admit it; seeing them together hurts badly and it took all of me not to burst into tears.
The event was finally over and I heaved a sigh of release.
"Congrats baby" dad said hugging me
"Thanks dad. Can we get out of here now?" my gaze lingering on Emily and Christian kissing.
Dad followed my line of sight and replied after a while; "sure baby, anywhere you want to go" he replied with a tight smile
We ended up going to a restaurant to celebrate my graduation but for me it was a dinner to mark my last night in this city and to welcome new beginnings.