Chap 4: Is it a Lie? Or the Truth?

Start from the beginning

"Hey all I'm saying is maybe you're a poor sport who wins because your opponents let you," Severus says, smirking when he takes another piece. "With those mistakes I will win in a heartbeat!" I roll my eyes as I watch the boys continue their game in silence. After a couple of moments and half a dozen moves, I break the silence.

"I'm playin' the winner!" I announce. The boys nod and the game continues until James pieces are all taken except for the king, and Severus has lost all of 4 pieces. James forfeits when he becomes surrounded. Severus chuckles at this and watches as me and James switch places.

"I-I was goin' easy on ya, that's why you-why you won," James says and I roll my eyes.

"Sure it was James, sure it was," Sirius and Remus say at the same time, chuckling afterwards. I move my piece first, starting the game again. It is quiet for the entire time, as both me and Severus are focusing on the game. In the end I am victorious.  Severus looks at me wide-eyed, well they all look at me with wide eyes.

"Me and my dad have serious battles at home, I usually go easy on ya guys," I say to James, Sirius, and Remus. Severus shakes his head a little.

"Well, you're good. I haven't found an opponent who could beat me until today!" Severus says and I grin at him.

"Thanks Severus." I grin some more. "So who am I playin' next?" I ask and Remus smiles.

"I will! And you shall lose!" Remus exclaims and Sirius and James laugh. Severus shakes his head as they switch places. I go first as James and Sirius bet who will win. Severus rolls his eyes, not believing in taking part in such events.

About 15 minutes later I have two playing pieces and Remus has three. I'm struggling to win the game. When I capture another of his pieces he pauses, thinking about his next move. Two minutes later Remus forfeits as neither of us can win with one piece each. But it's a win for me none the less. Sirius punches the air and exclaims "YEAH! Hand over the sickles James! Hand 'em over!" Me and Severus roll our eyes as James takes out five sickles and hands them to Sirius.

"I know you won't win Sirius, if even Remus was beat. So I think we all can agree Kit is our champion," James says. Sirius and Remus nods and Severus looks at me confused.

"When we play, we play till one person has beaten everyone. And they're considered the champion, like in real matches. The champion gets this cool little cup I found in my dad's room. It's silver and really pretty cool. Well it's more of a goblet really. But anyways I put tape on it and wrote 'champion' in pretty letters," I explain and Severus nods.

"Mind if I take part in more of these battles?" Severus asks, more to the boys then to me. They nod hesitantly.

"I guess. I mean, if you want," Sirius says. "Not to be mean, but what for?" Severus shrugs.

"You guys aren't as easy to beat as the idiot Slytherins in the common room. They don't even seem to try to win," Severus says, talking more to himself in the end. But I don't say anything and nod. Sirius seems to suddenly realize something.

"Wait, isn't it Hogsmead weekend this weekend?" he asks and I half-shrug, with my arm in a sling it's a little hard.

"I don't know. I think so," I say. Remus nods.

"Yes it is Sirius. Why? Do you wanna go?" Remus replies. Sirius smiles sheepishly. "I'll take that as a yes." Sirius grins and stands up.

"Let's go then!" he says excitedly. The rest of us stand up, me and Severus the slowest. We walk together as a group, though Severus is far behind us when I look back. I stop and let him catch up. The boys are talking about random things, like Quidditch. Me and Severus walk in silence side-by-side. When the boys go off to Honeydukes, Severus and I go to the Three Broomsticks. We find an empty table and sit after ordering two butterbeers.