Chap 10: The Dance

"Let's go!" I say. Lily and I laugh and head down to the common room then down to the Great Hall where the ball awaits.

I let Lily go in first. I wanted to wait a little longer, knowing that I'll get a lot of compliments. I take a deep breath and head on in. I immediately see Severus in the sea of peers waiting for their dates. His silky hair is quickly spotted for its greasy looks. I giggle and walk over. I poke him and he looks at me. His eyes widen. "Wow. You look amazing Kitten," he says. I smile and blush lightly. I look down and realize that my dress is not sparkling.

"Thanks, it's Lily's dress so it makes me feel kinda fat," I reply. He shakes his head.

"Such an idiot. You are not fat. You're gorgeous, just like these," he says, holding out Lilies of the Valley. I grin and he puts them in my hair. He smiles and lightly kisses my cheek. I blush a bit brighter and he grins. He takes my hand and leads me to the edges of the dance floor. I glare at him lightly for it.

"I don't dance," I say. He smiles and shrugs. He takes one of my hands in his and puts my other on his shoulder, his other on my hip. I blush a little with a small giggle. "It's not even a slow song," I protest. He shakes his head.

"Oh well!" I laugh a little and we start to do a fast past dance; and somehow I manage to screw it up, dirty up the bottom of my dress, and fall over all at once. Even though we fell we laugh. He gets up first and helps me up.

"I'll get us some punch," he says with a smile. I nod, a smile on my lips as well, and he heads for the punch bowl. I laugh at how much this is like a normal, muggle dance. Well except for the fact that there are floating candle close to the enchanted ceiling that looks like the night sky outside. I smile and watch the ceiling.

Severus comes back with the cups and I take a sip of mine. "Thanks," I say. He nods.

"That was probably a bad idea to dance wasn't it," he says. I laugh and nod.

"Yes, yes it really was," I reply. We laugh together and Lily walks over.

"Hey guys, what are you laughing at?" she asks. We smile.

"We were dancing and we fell over. It was such a bad idea!" Severus explains. Lily smiles and nods.

"Oh. I see!" she says. We grin.

"So what have you been up to?" I ask.

"I was dancing with Alice and Frank!" she says.

"Why did you stop?" Severus asks. She looks down.

"They started kissing, reminding me of me and James," she says.

"Oh. Forget I asked," he says. She shakes her head and looks up, the smile back on her deep red lips.

"It's alright!" she says. She giggles and takes my hand. "Let's dance!" I laugh and hand Severus my punch as she pulls me away. I squeal and stand there awkwardly, watching Lily dance. When she get distracted by a girl in our house, Ashlen, I slowly back away until I can turn and run. I run back to Severus.

I put my hands on his shoulders, catching my breath. I didn't realize until just now how big the Great Hall really was. From the middle to the edge is kind of tiring. He put the cups down and pushed me back by my shoulders. "What's wrong?" he asks. He lets me go and I let myself fall forwards so my forehead rests on his chest.

"I hate dancing! Why does Lily think she can make me? Everyone tries to make me do things I don't want to do! Well everyone but you," I say. "Even Remus does!" I stand up straight and Severus kisses my cheek, his hand on the back of my neck, rubbing lightly with his thumb. I smile at him.