Chapter twenty three

Today was the day Christi would be buried that she would no longer be with us. With that thought I looked around the room one last time…all I saw was Sadness that was all you saw in here and death was everywhere now. I didn’t think she would die so soon I was hoping to get out of here alive with her to be friends the ones who lived through this hell. Now things were changing and I may be stupid, but she was my sister not blood related, but in this world who cares now day. Those zombies were growing lager the population was shrinking to a lower percent each day and for those who were still alive…may not have the will or power to make it as far as we did. Don’t get me wrong for what I have seen I would help anyone now. Christi…she would stay in our hearts… she would stay in Jake's heart. He wanted to marry her he loved her I always knew that and it wasn’t till a few days ago that he told her, but he was a little too late.

Jake didn’t propose to her because she was dying. No that wasn’t it he did it because he really wanted to spend every second of everyday with her. He loved her…his eyes showed that he didn’t have to tell us it was the way he looked at her when she walked away the way he always watched over her. Christi she was a one of kind girl happy, mad, sad, joyful, and when she lost it like I did Jake was there Jake held her she wanted him and he wanted her. So that’s what they got today to tell the truth for her last hours on this hell she was happy for once. She had the love of her life next to her. Today would be hard on him I knew that, but he would have to go because she would want him to be happy and move on. I wouldn’t let him back down not today. Alex told me to go first to say my goodbyes so Jake could have time to think. It was for the best, but I couldn’t face the fact that she would be waiting down in that hole that she would be laying there dead; “Guys…it’s ready,” Alex said walking into the room. We all stood up looking at him. So this is it I would say goodbye to my best friend/ sister.

We all walked out to the back. Alex said for me to go first since Jake still wasn’t able to handle it. Making our way to the back Jake stopped and looked ahead of us, “Jake come on,” Alex said looking at him, but he stood there not wanting to go any more, “Jake, say your goodbyes for her,” I said sadly looking down at him, “I…” He paused, “Fine,” He made himself keep walking, but it could see it in his eyes that he didn’t want to go see her he didn’t want to face her death. No he wanted to see her alive and have her by his side again. We reached the back of the store and walked to the grave where she was laying, “Katherine…go,” Alex said making me walk up to her grave. I looked down at her as she held a single rose on her hand both held across her chest.

“Christi, she was like a sister to me and I loved her more than anything. She was a one of a kind girl she always knew how to make me laugh when I was down. She was my partner in crime …” I paused as tears slipped down my face, “I’ll never for you Christi,” I cried. Zack walked up to me and pulled me into his arms as I cried. Today was the day we buried Christi, “She knows you cared for her Kat she’s in a better place now,” He said walking me back to everyone else as Jake walked up.

“I didn’t realize how much I loved you Christi. I never thought I would lose you. I can’t see my life without you. You loved me and I never did anything in return to show you how I felt…” He paused as tears slid down his face, “I love you Christi,” He bent down and place a single rose on top of her. I watched as tears fell from his face as he said his goodbyes to the girl he loved I had never seen Jake so broken. He looked so lost.

He walked back towards us hiding his face, “Jake,” I whispered as I ran up to him and hugged him, but he pushed me away and kept walking away, “Kat give him some time okay,” Alex said as he walked back over to her gave, “Danny can you help me,” Alex said as he started throwing the dirt back on her. I couldn’t take it I ran back inside as the images of Alex and Danny covering Christi in dirt ran through my mind, “I’m sorry I wasn’t there for you Christi” I cried.