Chapter twenty

They stood there before us looking at us. I was sure that they thought we looked like trash covered in mud and dirt along with guns in our hands, but that didn’t matter anymore they were alive. Zack laughed the look in his eyes with joy the way he looked the way we all was with joy. I looked at Zack as he hugged me while Jake hugged Christi. Maybe we didn’t have to go any farther maybe this was the safe zone. As they checked us for bit marks they let us in took us to a house that was left behind. The house was big enough for all of us and the people they were kind they helped us gave us food and water and all of it for free, “You’re welcome to stay as long as you want,” The man said as he walked out the door. It was great but, if there was one thing we did know was that the infection would somehow find its way to the gate and soon this place would be like any other.

We all walked around looking in the rooms and in the back yard it was like life again just like before…it kind of reminded me of Sean’s house. Zack walked u behind me and hugged me, “So do you think we could live here?” I nodded my head and giggled, “Katherine!” Jake shouted as he ran up to me and pulled my away from Zack, “Jake put me down,” I laughed as he spun me around, “Christi!” She ran out the Kitchen with her hands full of food, “I love this place!” She laughed as she hugged me. We all sat down and just took a moment to enjoy this then we got to the point of an after math on this place, “So what if the infection got in here?” Christi through herself on the floor, “Guys stop let’s just live life again and enjoy this for now!” I nodded my head “She’s right I mean come on when have we had other people alive around us this place has a wall and inspects people for the infection let’s just enjoy this,” I said as I sat next to Christi.

The guys looked at us and laughed, “Well how about we all go get cleaned up and look around this town?” Jake said as he helped Christi and me up. I grabbed Christi hand and walked her up to our room, “You take a shower first and then I’ll go,” She smiled and ran off. I looked around the room and found clothes in the closet. I picked out some shorts and a purple tank top along with my boots. Once she got out I went in and showed it was nice getting the dirt off and blood it was like all this pain was being washed away, “You girls ready!” Christi and I came running out along with guys, “Let’s go!”

We all walked out the house laughing and just being like a family. It all seemed too good to be true but, here we were all of us together I could only wish that Sean, Kelly, and Chris were here to see this, “So where to first?” Zack said while he carried me, “How about we just walk around, “Jake laughed as Christi almost fell off from his back. We stopped in front of a small food court with kids and family running around, ‘Let’s stop here,” Zack put me down while Christi grabbed my hand and pulled my through the people. Alex and the guys caught up with us as we stopped in front of a stand, “Look,” Christi held up a necklace with an angel on it holding a baby, “It beautiful,” I said looking at it. She put it back down and went back walking around. The people it was something couldn’t get over it how many were left alive and how they lived this life it was nice just to be alive again and not have to kill anyone for once.

Zack carried the things we bought while Jake carried Christi and Alex carried me on his back, “I’ve never had this much fun since…well since the infection broke out,” I looked at her and smiled, “Guys how much longer till we get to the house?” Christi said as she slowly closed her eyes, “Not much longer,” Jake smiled up at her, “Hey Alex you want me walk?” I asked as I looked at him, “No your fine,” We walked about another half mile till we reached the house, “God I’m ready to sleep!” Christi cried as she walked up to our room, “Kat come on!’ She pulled my arm and dragged me up to our room, ‘Good were alone,” She sat on the edge of her bed shaking her head, “Kat I saw someone today,,,” she paused “they looked ill sick and gray like they got bit…she hit me and when her eyes met mine they looked almost white…” She cried, “Christi what are you talking about,” “it’s only a matter of time before she turns Kat I saw her I know what it looks like when your bitten and she looked them!” She screamed at me, “Who’s been bitten?” Jake came in the room and looked at us, “No one Christi thought she saw someone but it was nothing,” I reassured him.