You've never seen a bastard orphan more in need of a break

Start from the beginning

We begin walking along a gravel pathway that winds through the Livingstone's beautiful, massive garden. As we walk, Kitty chatters about the new dresses that she received a couple of days ago from a seamstress in New York City, a surprising feat considering the British have taken hostage of the city. 

Kitty turns to me as she remarks, "I'm sure you can borrow one of my dresses, Eliza." Her eyes dip down and along my body to survey my shape, and she adds, "If you can fit into them, that is."

I have to resist the urge to retort something back. Kitty and I are easily the same shape and build. I might be a tiny bit shorter, and she more willowy, but our trim is basically the same. 

Instead, I reply coolly, "I'll pass. I brought my own dresses, and, well, your tastes are much different from mine." To be honest, our tastes are similar, but I wasn't going to admit that. But then again, Kitty prefers glittery, showy dresses. I'm more modest, I suppose.

Angelica elbows me a little in the side and leans into me to whisper in my ear, "You ought to step up your game, Eliza, so that when Hamilton arrives, he won't be able to keep his eyes off of you. That will surely get on Kitty's nerves. You can borrow one of my dresses. I might have brought one just for this occasion." She winks conspiratorially at me. 

I cast Angelica a grateful look with a smile in thanks, to which she returns with a smile of her own.

"Are we to have a ball?" Peggy speaks up from beside me.

"Yes, we're planning on it. We might as well have a ball with all of the officers at our house," Susanna replies with a lilting smile.

"Is that why there are so many servants everywhere? They're preparing for the ball?" I ask before mentally going over my question to test it for any ridiculousness that Kitty could use as ammunition to ridicule me.

In the end, I find nothing wrong with my question, and Kitty answers, "Yes, they're busy preparing the ball and feast. We're to have the feast and ball tonight when all the young men arrive."

We all murmur our delight at this idea, especially Peggy and me since we haven't had a social event in what seems like forever. It isn't that I'm an especially social person; It's just that balls are fun.

"So, who is this James Monroe?" Angelica speaks up curiously, and everyone perks up at this new topic.

Kitty laughs bashfully as she replies, "Oh, he's this sweet, southern officer." She pauses before adding, "He's from Virginia," as if that somehow adds to his appeal. She continues, "He arrived a couple of days ago. You should see him later today, I believe."

The three of us Schuyler sisters all nod thoughtfully at this, curious to meet the officer we've already heard so much about. By then, we're back at the house, having made a full circle around the gardens, so we can't say much else.

When the five of us enter into the house for refreshments, we're immediately intercepted by Mrs. Livingstone, who informs us gleefully, "Alexander Hamilton has agreed to come to visit! He's to arrive at five o'clock today. He has promised to bring his friend, John Laurens, and another young man I've never heard of before. McHenry, is it?"

I nod knowingly at this name, having met McHenry before. "That's wonderful," I manage to say in a relatively cheerful voice despite my anxiety over Hamilton and his health. 

How is he going to manage? The last I saw him, he was stuck in bed with exhaustion. 

The four other young women cheer their agreement at my words, and we all whisk away to our rooms to get ready for the dinner and ball tonight.