Tournement

Percy POV

I storm into the Athena cabin, ignoring the gasps and the questioning stares. Coming up in front of Annabeth's bunk, I say "What is this about?" Waving the letter at her. She ignores me continuing to type away at her laptop. "Annabeth" I'm trying to control the emotion threatening to come out "Chiron told me that this was your doing. Do you have anything to say for yourself before I lose it?" She has the nerve to smirk at me, glance at her brothers and sisters who are now all staring at us, put her laptop beside her and shake her head. Most people wouldn't have noticed but I could see that she had braced herself for my reaction by curling her hands into fists in her lap and there was a blankness in her eyes that she only had when she was trying really hard to not to let others see how she was really feeling. I picked her up and threw her over my shoulder, walking out the door, with her cabin mates eyes following me almost intensely. I adjusted my hold on her so that I have my arms locked under hers, and start to spin yelling thank-you loudly. Annabeth just laughs, with her head thrown back, blonde hair loose and swinging out behind her; she is the image of pure beauty.

When things have settled down and yes, by things I mean me. Annabeth tells me that she sent a video so the two of us sparing to the judges and they accepted me to compete in the junior nationals sword fighting tournament.

**********

Annabeth POV

We've been at the tournament for two days now and Percy just won his semi-final! He runs over and spins me, my skirt flying out and my hair following suit. You see in a moment of weakness I allowed Percy to trick me into creating a backup plan. Each contestant is allowed a spare, which can fight for them in the event of an injury. The night before the tournament started Percy came to my room in tears worrying about the competition. We created the plan that I would act like a dumb blonde and wear girly clothes to make his opponents think that he didn't have a spare, when in reality it is me. Once we even made sure that some of the coaches overheard him say that he couldn't train seriously when I was what he was fighting because I'm too cute. I can't believe they actually bought it. Another time I made sure that some of the others saw me dancing, so if they saw my muscles they would think it was from that. The perfect plan, one worthy of me if I do say so myself. Anyway Percy and I wait to see who he will be facing in the final this afternoon. It turns out to be this kid I used to go to school with Toby Federer, he was really cocky but actually a good swordsman. Percy and I go back to our rooms where we use the self-filling plates from camp. We both have blue chocolate milk, which isn't as bad as it sounds, blue spaghetti, and caesar salad. The perfect in between workout meal. While entering the gym where the event is being held Percy's hand gets hit by the but of a dagger! The coach of the boy he beat earlier threw it!

When the doctors have checked it over they say that a few of the bones are cracked and he won't be able to fight. Everyone is huddled around us and nearly everyone groans at the outcome. The only person who doesn't is Toby, he pumps his fist in the air and yells "Yes!" What a jerk! The ref. asks Percy if there is anyone who can fill in for him and I cut in saying "I will. I mean if Perce does it" cue the hair twirling "how hard can it be right?" At this Toby bursts out laughing and says "What's a little girl going to do? Tickle me to death?" The ref allows it but looks worried for me. We each have ten minutes to warm up so I pick up a bow and arrow and shoot three bulls eyes, each arrow splitting the last. Toby looks intimidated, so I pick up a sword and throw it at a dummy. I'm satisfied with three bulls eyes and a fatal blow to the heart, so I run laps around the gym to warm up for real.

When the fight starts I stay back and let him make the first move. He lunges and I quickly sidestep, disarming him in one move. Holding my dagger to his throat I speak with a bored voice saying "FYI I've been a trained fighter since I was seven."

At the medal ceremony Percy and I stand at the top together, him in fighting gear and me in a dress. Aphrodite disguised as a reporter takes about twenty pictures of us.

***

When we return to camp the first thing Leo says to me is "I can't believe you owned that guy in a dress. I can't believe you wore a dress!" Piper tells me that I looked beautiful as I was kicking that guys butt and that I should wear dresses more often. Worst of all is an iris message from Thalia who just bursts out laughing and manages to get out "You...dress...bulls eye...his face...love you Beth."

***********

Vote Comment Follow.

-Mikki Huntress of Artemis, Daughter of Athena.