Epilogue

"Law, can you hand me the end of those streamers?" Keeping bunches of the strands in one hand while the other keeps you balanced on the ladder, you look down at the boy expectantly.

"Sure. What are you doing anyway?" He climbs up a step to hand you the ends.

"Well, you know those tents you use when you go camping?"

"I've seen them on TV, yes."

Sticking your tongue out slightly, you attach the ends carefully, each streamer with its own hook around the metal circle attached to the roof.

"You need to go camping... Anyway, I'm going to make it spin around and there'll be a space in the middle where the homecoming king and queen can dance, kinda like how a tent is like a pyramid thing and you sleep on the middle." You braid each strand together loosely, creating twists with large spaces between them while leaving two strands separate to get in and out.

Law snorts. "That's so cheesy. Besides, how're you going to make it spin in the first place?"

Once you finish, you step off the ladder and fold it up. "Kid is good with mechanics," you remind him simply.

"Right."

"Hey, by the way are we gonna go to homecoming?" you ask, putting the ladder back into the closet.

Law waits for you outside the door. "I don't know, I'm not, are you?"

You furrow your eyebrows as you exit. "I mean, I was going to. We could, you know, go together. Like a couple."

"I don't like public things, though," he reminds you.

"I know, but we could at least do something. How about we go camping or something? You've never gone, so why not?" you suggest, the idea still fresh in your mind.

"I don't particularly fancy sleeping in a tent," he states. "Or on the floor."

"Do you just not wanna be with me for homecoming? I get you don't wanna go to the dance, but we could at least go out and do something."

He pulls you into his chest, his hands folded at the small of your back. You look up at him and return the hug, wrapping your arms around his neck. "How about this, (Y/N)-ya. We can go out, but we're not gonna sleep outside or in the woods or anything. You know Red Line Mountains? How about we just go up there and sleep in the car. We can bring marshmallows and what not for s'mores and a couple blankets," he compromises quickly, planting a loving kiss on your forehead.

A sweet smile tugs at your lips and you nod. "Yeah, that sounds nice," you agree and burrow your face into his shirt, humming in content.

"Hey, lovebirds, save it for later," calls a familiar voice.

An idea pops in your mind. "Kid, can we borrow your truck for homecoming? We'll have it back by the next day! Law, we could sleep in the trunk thingy!"

He fake gags. "When I said 'save it for later,' I didn't mean do it later in my truck. And it's called a cargo bed," he corrects. "Meant for cargo, not for sex."

"You're a disgusting, dimwitted asshole," Law comments stoically.

Ignoring the insult, Kid continues. "But as long as you two don't fuck, sure. By the way, did ya check the mechanics yet?"

You shake your head no, and the redhead rolls his eyes. "Here, your machine," you say, tossing the remote to him.

He catches the device with one hand. "Thanks," is all he says before pointing the sensor and clicking the button.

The top wheel starts turning slowly, then after a few seconds, it moves into a faster, even pace. The streamers twist around beautifully, and you can't help but squeal in excitement.