Chapter 4 part 1

The sound and smell of sizzling bacon is the first thing your senses pick up when you wake. Then a striking soreness from falling asleep on the couch. Stretching quickly, you follow the sensational aroma to the kitchen, finding your mother cooking breakfast. A sight you haven't seen for a long time.

"Mom!" you exclaim happily. "What're you doing here?"

She smiles at you. "I figured I could take a little time off or my daughter. I've only got a few hours, but it's better than nothing!"

You nod. "Definitely. So what changed your mind in the first place?"

"Well," she pushes a plate of some of your favourite breakfast foods towards you, "I was thinking that you should really make sure you're hanging out with good people." You know where this is going, and you let out a small sigh as you picked up some food on your fork. "Oh, don't give me that, young lady. Do invite that Law boy over, I'd just love to meet him!"

"Ma, you threatened to chainsaw of his privates. Then shove it down his throat. What do you mean you'd love to meet him?"

She clicks her tongue. "You heard? Well, either way, sweetie, I'm just protecting you!"

"I know, I appreciate you wanting to protect me, but really?"

"Yes, really. Now invite that boy over for lunch, and if I don't approve, you can't talk to him." She spoke the word 'boy' like she was talking about rotten milk.

You groan. "You're kidding right?"

She shakes her head. "Now eat and invite the boy. I'm going to go out to get some food for lunch." She grabs her purse and keys and exits. You finish eating after a while and grab your phone.

"Hey, Law?"

'Hello. What do you need?'

"Could you come over to my place for a bit? My mom wants to meet you and approve of you."

'Do I have to?'

"Yeah, kind of. If she doesn't approve, then we can't hang out anymore."

'Oh, what a shame that would be.'

"I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but I'm just going to assume you weren't because deep down, very deep down, you love hanging out with me. Just come over and be polite. Please?"

He lets out the first sigh of the day. 'Fine.'

"Thanks, uh, do you need the address, or---"

'I know where I'm going.'

"You never cease to amaze me. Alright, is 12:30 good?"

'Yes, I'll be there then. Goodbye.'

"Right, see you then!"

He hangs up. Law rests his face in his palm as he leans back in his chair, keeping one hand on the dining table to keep him steady. The old chair whines, the sound seeming to echo within the lonely, nearly empty house.

He stands up and walks down a hallway, keeping his head own. He doesn't like looking forward, because in the sides of his vision, he always sees the pictures he doesn't dare take down. It hurts to look at them, sure, but it'd be worse if he removed them fully from sight. But keeping his eyes averted doesn't stop the memories. A persistent pain lingers in his chest even after he passed the frames. He let himself fall back on his bed with a small bounce.

He spreads his arms out and huffs a tired sigh. His eyes wander the plain roof. Growing bored, they decide on their own to look elsewhere. To his desk, where books and notebooks lie, some open, others stacked neatly along the edges of the desk. To his bookshelf, where books sorted methodically stand tal. To his nightstand. A book he purchased at the bookstore you took him to sits, a dark blue bookmark placed around two-thirds in. A picture frame lies face down, dust gathering on the back.