Chapter 5

Your body refuses to get up, finding too much comfort in your bed that always seems to drag you in, with or without your approval. Though, you can't blame it too much for your laziness. You snuggle closer into the comforter, humming in delight, ignoring the pain in your stomach.

Irritation rushes in when your phone starts vibrating against your nightstand and a loud ringtone starts playing, persistent in annoying you.

"What?" you groan into your pillow, as if your phone would tell you if you asked. Reaching out blindly, you eventually find the rectangular device and unplug it with a sharp tug. The caller ID states 'Law,' and you answer the call. "Hello?" you greet groggily.

'Good morning. I'm guessing you just woke up?' You hum yes in confirmation. 'Understandable, I suppose. We still have two hours before we have to go to school.'

You gasp in disbelievement, calm breathing interrupted as your eyes search frantically for a clock. Sure enough, the hands show 5:52. "You've gotta be kidding. Law, what are you even doing up so early?"

'Being responsible and preparing for the day.'

"How long does it take you to get ready?" you chuckle lightly.

Truth be told, he couldn't get his mind off you last night. He lied awake thinking of you as he cuddled into the fluffy dog you assigned him to look after until he drifted into a forced state of unconsciousness, eventually leading to his quick waking as well. 'Not long, I'm just taking care of the dog.'

"You sound like you're killing him, but I'm going to presume you're just caring for him like any normal person."

A confused jumble of sounds comes through from his end, unsure of how to respond to it. 'I'm taking him on a walk, soon,' he says eventually, ditching the idea to respond to your previous words.

"Really? Can I come too?"

'Yeah, just be here soon. I don't want to wait.'

You respond as you begin scrambling to get ready. "Great! Send me your address, okay? I'll be there soon," you cheer, hanging up.

He sighs, the small beeping echoing in his ear as he pulls the phone away from his head.

You arrive at the familiar house, knocking before entering. It looks a little brighter, and you notice he's turned on the fan's light. "I'm here!" you announce to the silence.

An excited bundle of white charges out, jumping up so his front paws reach out for you. With a giddy laugh, you take the large paws and do a little awkwards dance, smiling goofily.

"Bepo, come here," Law demands. The dog licks your hand before returning to Law. "Usually one knocks to signal their arrival, then wait for a response to come in. Not barge in like some brute."

You ignore his insults and instead gush over him. "Aww, you named him! And trained him! How cute!" you exclaim, walking towards the two. Getting on a knee to be at the same height as the dog, you scratch Bepo's head, to which he responds and burrows his head up into your palm.

Though you can't see his expression, embarrassment clearly takes over his voice. "Well, I can do what I want, so shut up!"

When you look up at the boy, you can't help but giggle at the sight. His arms are crossed like a child, and his face has pink brushed over it. He looks down at you for a brief moment before turning his head away.

"Get off the floor, and stop spoiling him. Let's just go, you can put your bag on the couch." As you do so, he retrieves string cord, then folds it in half. You watch as his hands carefully tie it around his front legs and torso for a makeshift harness leash.