Chapter 1

Disclaimer and Warnings: Characters other than you and your family do not belong to me, they were created and are under the ownership of Eiichiro Oda. The plot is mine.

_______

You stare out the window as small town landscape slowly shows more and more signs of population until it's transformed into a bustling city, structures reaching so high they seem to reach the puffy, white clouds that block the sun every so often. Out of the corner of her eye, your mother catches your watchful eyes, excitingly scanning the city. She smiles softly before returning her full attention on the loud traffic in front of her.

Finally, you arrive to the city you'll call home. You were beyond ecstatic, ready to find new friends and explore the unfamiliar city. An hour drive later (most of it waiting for people to pass or cars to move forward), you reach the complex where you'll be living. It took a dozen or so trips to and from the car and the large apartment to transport all the boxes stuffed in the trunk and back seat.

You groan and let yourself collapse onto the couch. "When does school start again?" you ask wearily.

With a soft chuckle, your mother replies, "Thinking about that still? In a week and a half. Remember to go and pick up your uniforms, and your schedule will be sent soon. And make sure you know where to go, you'll have to walk."

As she goes down the list of reminders, you roll your eyes. "I know, mum. I'm going to start setting up my room," you inform, picking yourself off the couch and lifting a small stack of boxes, all with '(Y/N)' written on them with black sharpie.

"Alright---oh hold on, sweetie, work calls, good luck!" She picks up her ringing phone and enters her bedroom, shutting the door behind her.

A quiet sigh escapes your lips as you carry the stack to your room. It has a small balcony, a television, a queen sized bed, and a desk and chair, and two doors that lead to a closet and restroom. You set the boxes against a wall and return to the living room to finish moving the rest labelled as yours into your room. They pile around the edges of the room. You look at the space and zone out, planning what you'll put where.

Your mother's shout brings you back from your daze. "(Y/N), sweetie! I have to head into the office, you're on your own for dinner. I left $10 on the table for food!" Then, a click from the front door. It isn't an abnormal occurrence, considering she was a CEO of a major company, but a small bit of sadness still creeps in. You shake it off and replace it with a smile. "That's alright. It'll just... give me a chance to practice cooking."

_______

Forgetting to set your alarm and waking up late resulted in a quick start to your day. What school starts on a Wednesday, anyway? you think. You rush around your room, frantically getting ready for school. Scooping up your back, you jog out ot the kitchen. A sticky note on the counter reads:

Hey sweetie! Sorry, but I'll be staying at the office for the week. We've been super busy. I left some money in the drawer to the right of the sink under a cooking book. Love you, good luck at school!

Shards of gloom replaces the rush. Dejected, you grab a granola bar and head out, backpack slung over a shoulder lazily. Checking the time, you find you've got a little under 30 minutes until school starts. Combined with a 30 minute walk and probably 5 minutes of searching for the right class, you speed up your walking pace, checking the time every few minutes.

When ten minutes remain, you speed up even more until you finally see the gates to the school grounds. It was surprising to see students still arriving at such a late time, only five or six minutes until school would start.

Awkwardly, you approach a friendly looking boy with wavy blonde hair and a scar stretching over his left eye.

"Hey, I don't mean to bother but do you know where building E is?" you ask with a nervous smile.