Soon the rest of our friends trickled down the stairs stating that they were hungry and how it smelled good. The girls began to set the table with Julian assisting them. I had noticed when Elias descended down the stairs, but didn't have the time to look at him because I was too busy cooking. "We're almost done. Don't worry babe," Violet told Raphael who looked impatient as he sat there watching her assemble the fruit nicely onto a platter.

Moments later, Jasper announced that breakfast was ready. With the jazz still playing in the background, we all retreated into the dining room to enjoy breakfast.

"Alright, everyone! Canoeing time!" Nathan exclaimed after breakfast with his infectious energy. Today was the much-anticipated day we had marked for a canoeing adventure, and my excitement was reaching its peak. Our post-canoeing agenda included some board games and a movie – a perfect recipe for a day well spent.

As the guys hustled into the shed to gather the paddles and gear, the girls and I exchanged eager glances as we began to get ready. "I've never been canoeing before," Neha confessed, her eyes reflecting a mix of curiosity and uncertainty. "Trust me, it's a total blast," Saphira reassured her. "You're going to love it."

Choosing comfort for this experience , I opted for a pair of flare pants and a cozy sweater. While the morning air wasn't too chilly, I figured it would be wise to stay warm, especially with the cooler breeze out on the lake. After getting dressed, we all gathered downstairs. I stepped outside after the girls realizing that I had forgot my hat. "I'll be out in a minute," I told them before retreating back upstairs. 

Entering my room, I spotted my hat. However, before heading out, I took a quick glance at my phone. I texted my mom back, filling her in on our plans for the day. As we began to text back and forth, we transitioned into a phone call. Ten minutes went by pretty quickly, and I told my mom I had to go. After putting down the phone, I strolled through the hallway. However I never didn't reach the stairs because a shiny glimmer caught my eye from Kenna's slightly ajar room. Intrigued, I couldn't resist sticking my head in.

There, on her dresser, was a book with gold detailing that seemed to be glowing in a mesmerizing way. It sparkled on its own, untouched by any external source of illumination. Its thickness suggested it might be another fantasy book she'd picked up from the library. I would have to ask her about it later. I then retreated away from her door and descended down the stairs practically running out of the cabin. I arrived at the side of the lake to see a canoe boat on the shore and my friends already out on the lake. It seemed like Jasper and Nathan had left last because they were the closest to the shore. 

"You left us, man!" a voice called out from behind me, and I turned to see Elias with his hands raised. Jasper's laughter echoed in the distance, teasing us to hurry up and join the crew.

"Why so slow?" Jasper shouted. I rolled my eyes. Of course our friends had left us and of course we were going to be canoeing together. "Why are you late?" Elias asked out of curiosity.

"I had to grab my hat and my mom called," I replied, adjusting my hat on my head. As I looked on, Elias hoisted the canoe, getting it ready for our lakeside adventure. We were going to share a boat, and the thought felt oddly intimate. We'd have to talk, and I couldn't just walk away once we set sail on the lake. "You coming?" Elias asked, gesturing towards the canoe. Hesitant, I took a step forward and cautiously got into the boat.

Balancing, I almost lost my footing and in that split second, I reached out to grab Elias. Our hands connected, and time seemed to pause as we stood there, eyes locked. The unexpected closeness left my breath shaky, and I could feel my heart quickening its pace. It was a simple touch, our hands meeting for the first time, yet it sparked a sensation that I had never felt before from any of our previous interactions.

The connection was different, our bare skin meeting in a way that was new and unfamiliar. I couldn't ignore that my hands somehow seemed to fit perfectly in his. I let go, quickly taking my seat, while Elias settled in and grabbed his oar, ready to navigate our canoe into the adventure that awaited us on the lake. It was a brief but charged moment and I couldn't shake the lingering awareness of that touch. The lake stretched out before us, but my mind was momentarily captivated by the unexpected intimacy of that fleeting connection. 

With me sitting at the front with my oar in hand and Elias behind me, we glided onto the lake in absolute silence, the only sounds being the gentle lapping of water against the sides of the canoe. The laughter and voices of my friends echoed in the distance, but they felt distant. Some pairs were quite far away, making it impossible to discern who was with whom.

"This is nice," Elias finally broke the silence, his voice cutting through the tranquil atmosphere. I pondered a response but opted to remain quiet, taking in the serene surroundings. The stillness of the water and the unhurried movement of the canoe created a peaceful tableau, and for a moment, words seemed unnecessary in the company of the calm lake and the shared adventure unfolding before us. 

"I mean, it's cool being out here," Elias continued, attempting to fill the conversational void. "Yeah, definitely," I replied, trying not to overthink my words. I took a deep breath, closing my eyes in an attempt to immerse myself in the moment and drown out the racing thoughts in my head about our current situation.

"Why aren't you saying anything?" Elias's question disrupted the quiet, and I opened my eyes slowly, a bit confused by his inquiry. "What is there to say?" I replied, genuinely unsure if he expected us to engage in some deep conversation after all we've been through. Despite him telling me he didn't want me, his actions painted a different picture. He got rid of a guy bothering me at lunch, and when Jasper accidentally fell on me while playing frisbee, he was practically ready to kill him. It was a confusing mix of signals – rejecting me verbally but acting like he cared.

Even after telling him twice to back off, he didn't seem to get the message. The contradiction between his words and actions added an extra layer of frustration to an already complicated situation. As the canoe glided through the calm water, it felt like a reflection of the stillness outside, hiding the internal turmoil of conflicting thoughts and emotions. I closed my eyes once more, attempting to focus on savouring the unique experience of canoeing on the serene lake.

The silence persisted for a few more moments before Elias broke it with an unexpected question, "Are you and Nathan together?" His inquiry caught me off guard, and my face scrunched in confusion at the seemingly random line of questioning. "Why does that even matter to you?" I shot back, a bit perplexed, resisting the urge to turn around and shoot him a questioning look.

"Just curious. You guys seem so close," he explained. "Because we grew up together and we're best friends. The same way you and Jasper are close," I retorted. Elias seemed unconvinced, stating, "Ok, that is completely different."

"How is that different?" I pressed. "Nathan and I are just friends. And even if we did like each other, we both recognize that he has a mate out there who is waiting for him," I emphasized my point, hoping he'd pick up on the hint. Elias fell silent, not responding right away, and it seemed like my message had gotten through to him.

The weight of the conversation hung heavy in the air as Elias struggled to find the right words. "Why haven't you officially rejected me yet?" I asked, my frustration evident in my tone. Elias, seemingly caught off guard, responded, "You want me to?"

"Of course, I don't," I replied, my voice tinged with a mix of exasperation and longing. "I would love it if you gave me a chance, but if you're not, there's no point in any of this. Just reject me so we can both move on."

"I," he hesitated, the words lingering between us. "I can't do that."