Part 26

Namjoon and I tiptoed inside the dungeon, carefully not to draw the guards' attention.

"You're out of your mind, Y/N," he whispered restlessly.

"As long as you're here to save me when I do get in trouble, it's fine."

Namjoon was not only my butler, but also a knight. A respected one at that. His strength rivaled ten men's and he was one of the best knights in the country. He could've trained to be more skilled but he chose to serve and protect me instead. I didn't fear anything whenever he was around.

"We have to free our soldiers quickly. Taehyung and his men are on their way as we speak. We must help them, Joonie. This is the only thing I can do."

He sighed and kept walking behind me in a fighting stance.

It was really dark with only a few candles hung up on the walls lighting our way. I was shivering from the freezing wind and the menacing atmosphere surrounding me. This place was deserted.

"Are there no guards here or what?"
I murmured, seeing no trace of a living being.

"Maybe they're sleeping somewhere?" He chimed softly. "It's already nighttime now. Plus, they wouldn't expect anyone to barge in and break people out. If so, that's good for us. Let's hurry up."

I nodded and hastened my speed. The sound of my heels clicking against the floor echoed through the hallway but I didn't mind it.

I spotted the rooms the soldiers were held captive a few meters away. I started running towards them.

"Halt!"

I froze.

Oh no...

"Who goes there?!"

The footsteps were drawing near. From the sound of it, there were three people coming towards us now.

"Namjoon, hide your sword for now. We could slip away and unlock their doors while they're unaware," I whispered only enough for him to hear.

He nodded and swiftly put it away.

The guards stopped before us and gasped.

"Your Highness!" They knelt before me. "What are you doing here?!"

I gulped and raised my chin. "I... just wanted to... um..."

I glanced at Namjoon seeking for help.

He gestured around the room and acted like he was excited. I didn't get it.

"I wanted to check up on the dungeon. As the queen, I must see that everything is normally executed."

They exclaimed in understanding.

"But we can't let you roam around unattended. We'll be escorting you through the halls."

I think not, you skinny bastard.

"The king's orders," Namjoon glared at them.

The guards looked at each other and then stepped backwards, bowing. "Understood."

I smirked at the man next to me, exchanging words through our eyes and he returned the gesture.

You smart.

I know. Let's go.

We turned around and paced to the doors, glancing back to see the guards going to the other side.

"He hired guards like them?" I scoffed in disbelief. "They just believed their enemy's words without any proof."

He chuckled softly. "I know."

We arrived to the cells and I tapped on the doors. "It's me, Y/N! Is there anyone here?"

"Your Highness!"

"We're here!"

"It's dangerous, what are you doing here?"

I turned to Namjoon and he nodded, unsheathing his sword and breaking the lock with a loud thud.

I yelled gleefully and was about to open the door when I heard the guards running towards us. I looked back to see more people following them from behind.

They must've called backups!

My heart dropped and I started shaking. "N-Namjoon!"

He quickly pulled the cell doors and our knights came flooding out, but most of them didn't have any weapon with them.

No, we can't win this!

I gasped and covered my mouth when they started clashing. Their yells and screams blared through the walls. The guards kept slashing them with no mercy but our knights weren't giving up without a fight. It was horrifying.

Tears started forming in my eyes when my people were dropping to the ground, bleeding.

I blamed myself for their deaths. It was me who brought their demise.

I choked on my sobs and screamed when I saw my best friend getting pierced by one of the guards.

"NO! NAMJOON!"

He fell to the ground, clutching his sides. I ran towards him and held his head up, crying uncontrollably.

"Namjoon, please! Look at me!"

He coughed and groaned in pain. When his eyes were finally focused on me, he bit his lips and apologized.

"I'm sorry, Y/N. I couldn't ensure your safety. I'm really... sorry..."

"No! Stop talking! I will not let you leave me like this! Please..." I sniffled and pulled him closer.

Someone pulled him away from me and another person grabbed me and separated us.

I hit his hand repeatedly and yelled at him to let me go, but he gripped me harder and threw me inside the cell.

Before the door closed, I caught a glimpse of Namjoon's form being dragged away by two guards.

"No! Leave him alone!"

He's dying...

I dropped to my knees. I felt suffocated.

Namjoon...

A/N: Thank you for reading and please don't forget to vote if you liked this chapter ❤️