Chapter Sixteen: Eye to Eye

(Picture of Dally)
Wednesday, November 9th
Johnny's pov

   It's Dally's 19th birthday and he asked me and Jose to tag along with him and Cass to go shopping for Valencia. That's all we've been doing all day which I don't mind. It's kind of fun. Right now we've finished putting the furniture in the nursery, which looks kind of amazing. It's gray with pink and white accents. Josephine painted roses And feathers on the wall and wrote "dream big little one" on the crib.

   "I can't wait to have kids and decorate their nursery," Josephine says while helping Cassandra fold clothes

  "You hear that Johnny?" Dallas teases.
  "S-shut it, Dal," I stutter. Oh man, kids? Would I even be a good dad?
  "You'd be a great dad," Jose says as if she read my mind. "I just want two."
  "Just wait until you're older," Cass says. "Unless you want Johnny running away and coming back six months later with a house and a ring."
  "Haha," Dally laughs sarcastically.
"When are you guys getting married?" Josephine asks happily.
"After Valencia is born. Maybe three months after I've had her," Cassandra answers.
"So Johnny, Cassie told me that you and Jose got it on," Dal smirks.
  "Dallas!" Josephine shouts her face turning bright red.
"I'm so proud of you!" Dally says while messing my hair up.
"Cut it out," I say frustratedly.
"Boys please don't roughhouse in the nursery. We've got four acres of land for you to do that on," Cass sighs. As Dal lets me go the doorbell rings a few times.
  "I'll get it," Jose says while hurrying downstairs. I peek out the window and see their dad looking around the trees.
  "Your dad is here," I tell Cassie.
  "Oh no, Jos—"
  "Cassandra mom and dad are here!" Josephine shouts. She walks back in the nursery with her parents following behind her.

   "Hi Cassandra," Juliana greets happily.
  "You didn't bring Christopher. I wanted Dallas to meet him," Cassandra pouts.
  "I asked Tessa to watch him," Mr. Mason says.
  "This house is beautiful honey. Oh, and the nursery is gorgeous."
  "Thank you. Uh, I told you not to bring dad," Cass mutters.
  "I insisted on going. I had to see what shack this boy has you living under," Mr. Mason sneers.
  "Dad why don't we go talk in the office," Cassandra nearly growls.
  "Leo do not upset her," Juliana warns.
  "I'll try my best not to," he mumbles. Dallas rubs the back of his neck not sure what to do. Cassandra looks at him and he shuffles behind them.
"Dad is so mean," Josephine says crossing her arms.
"Your father means well. I don't think he realizes how similar our relationship was to yours and your sister's," Juliana sighs. "Maybe when Val—"
  "You're engaged to this lowlife?!" Mr. Mason yells. "He probably stole that ring!"
  "He worked hard for it! Dallas is changing for the better!" Cassandra yells back. Something isn't right. Usually, Dal gets fired up and argues back to defend himself but he isn't. He's quiet.

   "I know I've done some really messed up things, but I swear to you I've changed. I love your daughter so much—"
  "So much that you left her for half a year?" Mr. Mason brings up.
  "I left to better myself as a person and a partner," Dallas argues. "I had nothing before, now I have a house, a car, and a job to provide for my girls."
"And what job would that be?" her father asks.
"Running a restaurant with my uncle," Dal answers. "I wanted to surprise you, Cass."
"He'd just be a busboy—"
"Enough dad! When will you realize I'm going through the same thing you and mom went through?!" Cassandra forcefully opens the door and waddles angrily downstairs. Juliana and Josephine groan and go after her. Mr. Mason walks in the nursery and sits down in the rocking chair.
"You know Dallas isn't a bad person. He had to grow up quick and take care of himself. He wasn't as fortunate as you or your kids, none of are. My friends take care of me because my parents don't want to," I explain quietly.
"Why don't your parents take care of you?" Mr. Mason asks.
"Don't know. I guess they didn't want me, I haven't been home in months," I admit. "I've been hopping from friend to friend and pulling my weight around at their places. Sometimes I just sleep in an empty lot nearby." Mr. Mason's face softens as I tell him about the normal everyday life for us East side kids.

   "I love Josephine and I'd do whatever I can to make her happy, and Dallas wouldn't have come back for Cass if he didn't love her and Valencia. He really has changed," I say before getting up. "We're good enough for your daughters." I walk down the stairs and see Dallas outside in the backyard trying to light a cigarette.
"Hey Johnny," he mumbles as I open the door.
"You okay?" I ask.
"Her dad hates me and he thinks I'm not good for her."
"I talked to him. He seemed like he felt sorry," I say. "Aren't you supposed to be quitting?"
"I'm a little stressed. One won't kill me," Dal says. "You got a light?"
"Johnny don't you dare light that cigarette!" I hear Cassandra yell.
"Oh my god," Dallas grumbles.
"You wanna go to Buck's?" I ask.
"Nah, it's fine I just gotta find another way to deal with stress. What do you?"
"Oh um, Jose and I... You know..." I trail off.
"You guys fuck to deal with stress? Way to go, Johnny," Dal smiles.
"Do you two have a minute?" Mr. Mason says while closing the door. What could he possibly want?

   "Yeah, we do," Dallas answers.
"I just wanted to apologize to you both for misjudging. I can see that you guys make my daughters very happy," Mr. Mason says.
"It's fine. What father would want their daughter to be with guys like us?" Dally chuckles. Mr. Mason holds out his arm and Dally shakes it.
"If you need a place to stay John, you can stay with us."
"Thank you, Mr. Mason," I beam.
"You can call me Leon."
"You should apologize to Cassie too," I mention.
"You're right. I'll see you, gentlemen, later," Leon says going back inside.
  "Looks like we're on his good side now," I grin.
  "All thanks to you John," Dallas laughs.