1: Castle In The Sky

.^^ Admiral Taryn Rashan ^^

— Tommy —

I gazed down at the Red-Skinned Tiefling that was presented to me. "Come again?" I asked.

"This is Sariel Rashan, your Apprentice. He's already an Artificer, now you get to teach him Alchemy and Smithing! It'll be great, don't worry." Papa grinned.

I hummed, deciding to roll with it. "Alright... True, teaching someone who already has a clue as to what I'm talking about would be simpler... alright, then, I suppose I wouldn't mind a pair of helping hands. I'm building an AirShip, you see, and then we're all going to some other country, though Sandy is taking my big dumb sister and heading off without me, which is terrifying, because she'll no-doubt get blown to hell again without me to keep her cautious-"

"Hey!" She snapped, offended.

"-is for horses, so shush,- so I'll need the distraction, I think. My name is Tommy, so you can call me that, I suppose. How old are you?" I asked.

"11, for now, but I turn 12 at Winter's Crest, which is only in a few days! It kinda sucks that we'll miss the celebration, but I suppose that's just how it is." He grinned easily.

"Says who?" I smirked, and opened a door in the wall, into the vault. "Goodbye, all, I'll be in the ClockTower, if you need me! Oh, and Caz, I'm stealing your apartment, to build a massive Workshop, 'kay?"

She sighed. "Whatever. Bye, midget, see you in a little while."

I nodded and turned on my heel, walking through the door before I got all sappy and stuff. No need for that, after all. Sariel hurried after me, and a small wolf bounded up to him, licking his face and sniffing him for injuries. "Your pet?" I smiled.

"Familiar, actually! Your dad contracted him to me!" He grinned, showing me a runic tattoo on his forearm, which looked like the Familiar Contract in dad's grimoire, complete with the Pawmark.

"Very cool! Now close the door, unless Glade is coming with us?" I looked at him.

He nodded to mom and papa, and jogged over, pulling Karon as she slowly shrank down to her human form. "Yeah, I'm coming back to the City with you. Your mom and dad are staying here to do something else, studying the castle or Gate or something." He explained.

I nodded and closed the door once they were both in, waving to my parents. They waved back, smiling happily, and then went back to examining the books on the table.

Gramma looked up at us as we exited, then took off her glasses. "Well! Karon Strum, Sariel Rashan, pleased to make your acquaintance! I can't say I'm enjoying having my office used as a thoroughfare, but it is nice to see my grandbabies every once in a while!"

"To be honest, I came here because Pecan Pie was mentioned." I grinned.

She laughed. "Yes, it was, wasn't it? How about we go to your house, and I'll make it there? I have decided to take a Break for the first time in... hmm, I can't actually remember. That's a sign it's been too long, I'm sure... Adila!" She called out.

A small dwarf poked his head in. "Aye, Luv? Oh, ye've company, sorry!" He stood straight, straightening his tie.

"This is my granddaughter and a few of her friends, it's alright. No, you and I are taking a break, spending the afternoon in the ClockTower. Inform the people who matter, then meet me at the front gate, my dear?" She raised an eyebrow. He bowed, and then trundled himself off into the rest of the offices, talking quietly to a few people.

"Ooh, getting it on with your secretary? Naughty Gramma!" I laughed.

"He's actually the head of many of my areas of business, and my long-standing mistress. He's still shy, though; apparently High-Elves and Dwarves aren't 'societally acceptable pairings'. As if I care." She smirked.