16•

"Yuta! Yuta!" Doyoung calls for his older brother as he runs up the stairs. He continues to call the olders name as he opens the door to his bedroom.

"Yuta guess what happ—" he stops talking as he looks at the sight before him.

His brother has a text book open on his chest, eyes closed as he sleeps. Doyoung walks over to him and picks up the book, examining the material inside it.

'Maths for those in year 8' is what the title reads. This confuses Doyoung, his older brother hasn't started high school yet. He's in his final year of primary school. Why would he need this textbook?

"What are you doing?" Yuta asks, his eyes still closed.

Doyoung jumps, startled as he drops he book to the floor.
"I have news, exciting news."

Yuta sits up and pats the space on the bed beside him for the younger to take a seat, but Doyoung just shakes his head.

He pulls a certificate from his backpack and hands to it the older, a huge smile plastered across his face.

"For Kim Doyoung who topped his class by learning his 14 times tables before everyone else" Yuta reads it out loud. "I'm so proud of you."

He gets off the bed and gives his brother a tight hug.

"Do you think father will be proud?" The younger asks, his hopes high. He is always aiming to please Mr Kim. He hates it when he is yelled at or hurt. It didn't take long for him to realise that Mr Kim is happier when his son does well at school.

"Of course he will be" Yuta smiles tightly as he steps away from his brother. "Why don't we go tell him now?"

The older suggests, taking Doyoung's hand. He walks down the stairs and heads to the lounge room where Mr Kim is watching television.

"Father" Doyoung calls out, sounding so hopeful. Yuta keeps a tight watch on the old man as he lets Doyoung walk over to him. He is ready to step in if he must.

"What is it?" Mr Kim doesn't sound the least bit interested, his voice slurs slightly.

Yuta walks up to stand just behind Doyoung, ready to pull him away if he needs to.

"Look what I got!" Doyoung exclaims as he hands the certificate to his father. Mr Kim smiles gently for a brief moment as he reads it.

"Good, this is what I expect from my son." He hands the paper back and faces Yuta. "Take him to get ice cream, my treat."  He pulls his wallet from his pocket and hands Yuta his credit card.

"Be back within an hour" is his only instruction.

Yuta can't help but smile as he sees the look of pure joy upon Doyoung's face. They immediately head to the ice cream parlour which is a 20 minute walk from the house.

It doesn't take them long to eat their sweet treats. Mr Kim does this about once a month. It has become a usual activity for Yuta and Doyoung to do together.

Mr Kim will only do this when Doyoung gets top of the class. Yuta is constantly doing so, but he isn't blood, so he doesn't get the reward.

They arrive at the front door and Yuta frowns as he hears the yelling on the other side. It looks like Mr Kim continued to get drunk after they left.

"Do you want to go to the park?" He suggests to his younger brother who jumps happily at the idea.

"Yuta I will always love you!" He exclaims as they walk down the street once more.

Yuta smirks at him, "Really? What about when I get old and I smell funny?"

"That's okay, cause we will be old and smell funny together. I'll never leave your side."

Yuta has no tears left to shed. He's been crying for several hours at this stage.

Sicheng has held onto him the whole time.

He had to take Yuta out of the room as they took Doyoung's body away. The older kept pushing away the staff, insisting that his brother was playing games and would wake up at any moment.

It broke Sicheng's heart to watch as this played out. Yuta cried again and again, the stream of tears never slowing, not even once until now.

Sicheng managed to take Yuta back home. His Aunt was confused as to why the boys were upset but she understood from the look in Sicheng's eyes that he had it under control.

Yuta is lying on Sicheng's bed, the Chinese crouches before him, gently holding his hand.

"He promised that we would never leave my side" Yuta's voice is hoarse, he hasn't had water for several hours.

"You need water" Sicheng goes to leave but Yuta grabs his hand.

"Please don't leave me. I can't lose anyone else" He cries softly.

Sicheng frowns as he moves to lay beside his boyfriend in the bed. He wraps his arms around him and holds onto him as his body trembles with sobs all over again.

Yuta can't explain what he is feeling right now. It's worse then what he felt when he lost his parents. Why is he always there to witness the ones he loves, die?

He had worked so hard to protect Doyoung for so long. He was bound to fail at one point. And that point has come.

Doyoung is dead.

He can't protect him anymore.

Doyoung will never get ice cream with him again.

They'll never pass each other in the corridors at school.

They'll never made stupid faces at each other while doing so.

Doyoung will never go out with his crush.

He won't be there to see Yuta graduate.

He won't graduate.

He's left Yuta behind to suffer through this life without him. He's left Yuta to fend for himself in this cruel world.

But he doesn't hate him for it. Yuta knows his brother was a big fighter. He must have wanted to let go. If that's what he waned, then that's what Yuta will accept.

A/N - just wanna mention that i'm starting to get an idea for a new jaeyong story, it'll be a dark one

thanks for reading!!