Chapter One

Marisa Johnson

School. 7 long hours wasted everyday.

I groan as my palm goes face down onto the snooze button on my alram clock.

Five more minutes and then I'm up...

"Marisa! Get your butt up and in the bathroom! You're going to be late on your first day!" my mom yells from the kitchen.

I bury my head in my pillow before trudging out of bed and into the bathroom, turning on the shower while stripping my clothes off. I step in and close my eyes as the hot water runs down my back. Before I could even begin to enjoy the sensation, my mom calls up to me.

"Marisa! Breakfast!"

I wrap a towel around me and step out, turning off the shower on my way. I walk back to my room and change into the outfit I had picked out last night: a pink tank top with tattered denim shorts. It may be September but it's sweltering hot out.

I comb through my dirty blonde hair and pull it up in a ponytail. I apply a thin layer of eyeliner, mascara, and some lip gloss before running downstairs into the kitchen. "Hi Mom!" I peck her on the cheek.

"Hi, sweetie. Here are your pancakes. Hurry up and eat them before you're late. I'm going to be coming home later tonight; I have a very important meeting I have to attend," she tells me. rushing to gather her stuff. My mom is always rushing. "Bye! Love you!"

"Love you too!" I yell back. I finish my breakfast and go outside, locking the door behind me. I sigh as I climb into my car and put the key into the ignition.

This is going to be a long day.