Chapter 3: Bonfire

Andrea and Kat made their way towards the fashion outlets in the mall. They decided they needed something new for the bonfire this evening. Trying on a multitude of outfits that just didn't work the way they felt they should.

Kat ended up settling with a crop top that had the phases of the moon across the front, distressed light blue shorts, and an oversized sweater cardigan to go over it. She'd wear her anklet sandals that she had at home.

"I don't know. Nothing is standing out to me, Kit-Kat, maybe I'll just pick something from my closet"

"Uh. No! There's something here for you. It doesn't have to be like an episode of Say Yes to the Dress. Just pick something cute"

Andrea just about ready to give up, saw her outfit on a display inside the store, Queen of Chaos. A red, long sleeve, off the shoulder, top with shredded bottom faded shorts. A golden choker necklace and bracelet to match would look perfect.

Andrea squealed as she ran towards the closest employee to help her get the right pieces for purchase.

Kat and Andrea headed back to Drea's home to finish getting ready for the night. Kat went with two evenly split cornrows in her hair. While Andrea went with a natural look. She moisturized and prayed to the hair gods her curls wouldn't get frizzy.

Andrea's mother came into the room with Lisa from next store. They both had a glass of red wine in hand.

"Wow, Andrea and Katerina, you both look stunning!" Lisa blurted out as her attention turned away from the wine glass and towards to the girls.

The girls thanked Lisa in unison.

"Lisa and I here were just talking about how exciting it is that Michael and you will be going to the same event after all these years living next to one another"

The moms giggled. Andrea blushed, though she was uncertain as to why. Kat raised her eyebrows with total judgment behind her eyes.

"Mom, that's a weird topic. It's no big deal"
"We shall see."

The two walked off laughing as they took another sip of their wine.

"I'm still confused as to why you invited the guy. He's a total dweeb at school. It's weird enough he's never been to the previous bonfires and decides to come now. Let alone, you being the one to invite him"

"Kat, when did you get so mean. Michael isn't a dweeb. He's pretty cool. We should be nicer to people and not so judgmental."

"I'm not mean. I am honest. There is a difference. I just hope no one finds out you're the one that invited him."

"I told Erick I did."

"ANDREA! Why??"

"I don't know. It came up in conversation. Why would I keep it from him. Michael is just a friend—an acquaintance, actually"

"Oh god, are you planning on hanging out with him tonight, like, where people can see?"

Andrea rolled her eyes and shrugged. She was tired of hearing Kat's whining on the topic. So, she just tuned her out while she sat at her vanity to put some light makeup touches to her face. She wondered what the night would be like. Is she really committing social suicide by being friends with Michael? She hardly knew him enough to determine if a friendship with him is worth it. She didn't even know why she wanted it in the first place. Andrea was just so tired of being an entitled brat all the time. She wanted to be mature and empathetic, instead. So, that's what she aimed to be. Andrea just hoped that Her best friend would catch up with her soon.