Chapter 11

Cristina woke up the next morning with a throbbing pain coming from her backside.

"Ouch" she moaned as she squirmed in bed.

Owen woke up hearing her, "What's wrong" he asked rubbing his sleepy eyes.

"I think I've broken my ass" she moaned.

Owen couldn't help but laugh.

"Hey" she slapped him playfully, "It's not funny."

"It kind of is" he said still laughing.

Cristina moved to the edge of the bed and gingerly climbed out, as she did so Owen caught sight of a nasty looking bruise which was the culprit of her pain.

"Ohhh" he gasped, "that looks sore."

He climbed out of bed and ran over to the kitchen in search of something.

He returned with some painkillers and a glass of water.

"Here take these" he said handing them to her.

"Thanks" she murmured shoving the pills down her throat.

They made their way back into the kitchen.

"I'm starving" Cristina said taking a seat at the counter.

Owen smiled, "Breakfast coming right up" he said before busying himself in the kitchen.

A while later there was a knock at the door.

"I'll get it" Cristina said.

She walked down the stairs wincing with each step, when she reached the bottom she stood on her tip toes to see through the peep hole.

When she saw who it was she groaned loudly, so loud that Owen heard it from upstairs.

"Who is it?" he asked from the top of the stairs.

Cristina had her back rested against the door, and had no intention of opening it.

"Cristina open the door" Owen said as he descended the stairs.

He took a look for himself and saw Helen Rubenstein standing nervously beside her husband Saul.

Another knock came through the door.

Owen turned to her, "Come on, you can do this" he said turning the lock.

The door swung open and Owen turned Cristina around to stand beside him. A similar picture was reflected as Saul pushed Helen forward to talk to her daughter.

"Good morning" Owen greeted the pair.

"Good morning, this is a lovely place you've got here" Saul said peering in.

"Thank you" Owen replied. An awkward silence fell upon them as Cristina avoided eye contact with her mother.

Saul began whispering to his wife, "Don't you have something to say honey" he nudged her.

Helen reluctantly began to speak, "I'm sorry" she said quietly.

She looked into her daughters eyes trying to gauge her reaction but as per usual Cristina was impossible to read.

"And" Saul said trying to get her to elaborate.

Helen sighed, "And I shouldn't have tried to meddle, but I'm hurt that you didn't invite your own mother to your wedding let alone tell her you were pregnant."

All eyes were on Cristina now, Helen had done her bit and now it was her turn.

She sighed and pushed the door open more, "Come in Owen's making breakfast."