Chapter 2

Both Cristina and Owen took in a deep breath as they awaited Meredith's response. Owen took Cristina's small hand in his and gave her a reassuring smile. Meredith quickly skimmed the blood work again, for what felt like forever. Eventually she looked up and met the familiar brown eyes of her person.

"You're pregnant" she said getting straight to the point.

Meredith carefully watched their reactions as the news reached their ears. A smile instinctively grew upon Owen's face as the words sunk in. He caught himself on and quickly put on a more neutral expression, as he examined his wife's face, searching for any emotion. Cristina's face was as if she'd seen a ghost. She let go of Owen's hand as she tried to process her emotions.

"I'm pregnant" she mumbled quietly to herself.

Meredith and Owen continued to study her, expecting an outburst or at least some tears. Cristina stood up slowly, grabbed the sheet of paper containing her results, from Meredith's hands, and made her way to the door.

"Cris wait.." Owen called after her. But she was gone before he could finish. Owen and Meredith exchange looks before Owen got up to rush after her. Meredith stepped in front of him.

"Let her go. She needs time to process this" she said blocking him from getting out the door.

"Meredith, get out of my way. This has nothing to do with you" he hissed at her while pushing past her. But it was too late there was no trace of her in the corridors. He searched their usual spots, the vent, their favourite on call room, even the tunnels but she was nowhere to be found.

Cristina was wandering aimlessly around the hospital as she tried to decide how she felt about this situation. Had this happened a couple of months ago, her world would have come crashing down. This would have completely derailed her plans of becoming a cardio god and she would never even think about keeping it. But right now, said plans had been thrown out the window by her inability to even step foot in an OR.

As she walked out the hospital doors and took a seat on a nearby bench, she began to picture what a child half hers and half Owen's would look like. Images of piercing blue eyes accompanied by unruly curly brown hair played in her mind and brought the corners of her lips into a slight smile. Maybe this had come at the perfect time, to give her a purpose other than being a surgeon.

She continued running through her options in her mind, the crisp breeze helping to calm her nerves and clear her head. At the prospect of an abortion Cristina felt uneasy. Although, she had almost got one once before, the idea of losing something else after all the tragedy she had just experienced seemed inhumane. And although she was not the motherly type she already felt an unusual attachment to the fetus inside of her.

She watched the people coming and going from the hospital as she tried to picture herself as a mother. She was not the typical domestic stay at home mother, she could barely even make a sandwich for crying out loud. No, she was no Susan Grey, but maybe she could be good at it in her own way. She certainty knew what not to do, thanks to her mother (and Meredith's).

Of course, it would be challenging, but when was Cristina Yang ever known for turning down a challenge. And she would have Owen, something her mother nor Meredith's ever had. She knew he would make an amazing dad. She'd seen how he'd interacted with kids who came into the ER, it came so naturally to him. And although, at the time she first witnessed his fatherly instincts it made her feel sick, thinking about it now brought a smile to her face.

She was thinking about the little badass she could raise her kid to be. She was sure he or she would have an abundance of brains accompanied by a witty sense of humour and Owen's big heart. Oh shit, Owen. She had been sitting here for the better part of an hour now, she should probably go and talk to him. Just then, she heard the door open and footsteps freeze beside her bench. She looked up to see his comforting, ocean blue eyes staring down at her.