Gosh, I feel like a teenager who just went on a date and came back late to find my parents waiting for me angrily at home. I quickly interject before Hamilton can answer. "Just a little place in town. There's nothing really to tell. Have you been looking for us all day?"

My mother gapes at me before shouting, "The whole house has been looking for you!" She moves behind us and begins pushing us inside. "Come with me," she orders briskly, before hustling in front of us and heading farther into the house. Hamilton and I exchange worried looks before we follow after.

Hamilton's hand brushes against mine as we walk, and I bite back my smile. My mother walks about fifteen feet in front of us, so when she stops before the living room door, she has to wait a few seconds for us to catch up. She gives us a little, indignant sniff before marching inside the living room. 

"Look who I found," she announces right as we walk in, and I blush as literally everyone who is currently staying at the house looks at us.

And I mean everyone; Washington, Laurens, Lafayette, McHenry, Peggy, Papa, my mother, and Aaron Burr. I find myself the most nervous in regards to Washington, whose cool eyes shift from me to Hamilton. 

He stares at Hamilton the longest before saying calmly, but with quiet fury, "While you were busy galavanting around, Colonel Hamilton, we were able to sketch out our next battle plan."

Hamilton's eyes widen at this, and he looks like he might say something before he stops himself short. Finally, he says with reserve, "I'm glad to hear it." He pauses before asking, as if unable to contain his curiosity any longer, "Am I to be given field command, sir?"

I notice Lafayette give Hamilton a sympathetic look. I can't seem to share his sentiment. I would be glad if Hamilton wasn't given field command. Relief courses through my body when Washington replies coldly, "No."

Hamilton stiffens at his words, and he looks about ready to argue about it before he stops himself short once more. He takes a breath and says with only a slight tremor of anger, "Sir, I believe I will be more useful on the field instead of writing-"

"No," Washington counters firmly. "You are to remain behind to send dispatches to the other generals."

Hamilton's mouth thins at this, but he doesn't say another word. Instead, he glares at the ground as if imagining the floor to be Washington. "When are we to depart?" he asks, not tearing his eyes from the ground.

"A week."

Hamilton dips his head once in acknowledgment and stands there shiftily as if wanting to leave the room, but not sure how to approach it. Washington makes the choice for him when he stands and says, "I am going to retire to my room for now."

Everybody hurriedly stands up as well and murmurs their response. The responses are a mixture of "okay", "of course, sir", and "tell me if you need anything". This last response, though, comes solely from my mother. And with that, Washington strides out of the room. 

Everybody stands there awkwardly before McHenry says to break the silence, "I can't wait for dinner. I'm already starving."

This sets my mother into motion, and she hurriedly says, "Oh, I can cook some appetizers up real quick for you gentlemen." 

She discreetly shoves Peggy towards the door to help her, and Peggy casts me a plea for help with her eyes before she has to turn back around. McHenry and Aaron Burr follow after them, leaving only Lafayette, Laurens, Hamilton, and me in the room. 

"So," Laurens drawls when we're all alone. "Where were you two all afternoon?"

Hamilton clears his throat, obviously uncomfortable, before he replies, "I wanted to show Eliza something."