an all-american epilogue

To whom it may concern-

It's been a full year since I returned to Japan. I had no idea that when I'd get off that plane, I'd be hit in the face with so many different things.

It's been a wild year. I've done a shit-ton of things - learned intermediate kanji, thankfully, was one of them, but I'd snuck out, gotta into two fights, worked as a waitress, got locked inside a locker, and met my friend again after a decade.

And as you've seen, we've tied up loose ends. I hold the gloves I forgot to give him back right now, actually. Sometimes, though, I still wonder why I feel weird stuff whenever I'm around him. I don't think he'd tell me if I asked.

So now, as I lay in my bed this starry night and think about the letter I will never write or send, I want to thank whoever is out there for such an odd year.

I know that deep inside, the pieces left over from my first residence 10 years ago are getting glued back together, and she's happy that we're back - she had forgotten how proud of herself she was, and dare I say, her ego grew as well. I try to keep her tame.

I can't believe how far I've come, and I'll always be thankful for this year. This will probably go down in my chronicle of events as the best one - the one that made me cry the most, the one that scared me half to death, the one that made me ecstatic every day, the one where I realized that the people around you are just as important as the person that you have inside yourself.

The seasons have gone full rotation, I've changed. I've made my mark for the year. I never though so many things could happen in such a short amount of time, but sometimes things happen the way they should be.

So, I guess that's all of my story. I'm finished.

For now, at least.

~The End~