chapter 21 :: all-american happy end

As you might have guessed, every single girl lost their minds when they walked into school after the weekend and saw that Jotaro's jacket missing the second button.

They all gossiped amongst themselves, rumors and assumptions were thrown around - who it could have been, but only we knew. Every single time I saw a bunch of girls whispering to themselves I felt a wave of pride, knowing that for now, I had the button everyone was going mental for.

It's like knowing an answer that to everyone else is a secret. It gives me a sense of euphoria most pleasant.

But that was months ago.

Back when there was still snow on the ground and Christmas was right around the corner, and when, you know, I snuck out.

Speaking of Christmas, I remember I woke up to a little box under the tree that was wrapped in newspaper, which was a bit odd because no one I know does that. And then I opened it an inside was a Junko Ohashi album and a keychain with a cat on it, and I was beyond confused until I picked up the note.

Merry Christmas
-Jotaro

Simple, but it still made my heart flutter. So I walked over with his present later that day, and then when school resumed we walked in with a little anchor button on his hat.

And later after break we were talking to Kakyoin, and he mentioned, "Did you get a new button for your hat or something?" And Jotaro was like "Yeah. My girlfriend gave it to me." For a second I almost got flustered, but then I remembered we were supposed to keep it on the low.

So I asked, "Really? Who's your girlfriend?" To which he turned to me and bluntly replied, "You, idiot."

But like I said, that was months ago.

And now it's April, and all the Americans are here on Vacation for hanami, which is the fancy word for waking around and watching the cherry trees bloom.

And life isn't that bad, especially when there's pink all around you.

I walked out of my room and into the kitchen, where it still smelled like green tea and scrambled eggs, and of course where mom read the morning paper.

I slide into the chair next to her (of course, not before grabbing a knockoff Japanese Gatorade from the fridge) and lean back, and I get a reminder to "not break the chairs."

"Sleep well?" She asks, and I nod, taking a sip of the beverage that tastes nothing like cherries. "Like a baby. Why?" She shrugs and continues reading her paper. "I don't know. I just got up."

I scoff happily, and recap my drink. "Take your day off easy, okay? You know what happened last time." She glares at me and I smirk, before she smirks as well. "Alright, boss. Are you going to the park to see the blossoms?"

"Maybe," I mention. "We should go later."

Mom sighs. "I'm waiting for later in the evening. Then all the tourists will be gone and it won't be as annoying. Then we can go together."

"Suit yourself," I mention, getting up to grab my coat, "I'm going now. See ya."

"Yeah, have fun." She takes a sip of her tea and continues reading. "Don't tell me about it until we go together, I want to wait for the experience."

I laugh as I unlock the door and leave.

Already, I was hit by pink as I stepped one foot out the door, my block being lined by them and as far I could see.

I could only imagine what the inn was like.

I walked, hands-in-windbreaker down the sidewalk to the park, and my lungs filled with the cold morning air and pollen from the shedding trees. It was a feeling I had forgotten you could only experience in Japan, among a few other places.

I found myself looking around like an idiot, but the feeling was all that mattered at the moment.

And soon enough, the gathering crowd of people led me to the park, where foreigners wandered around buying cheap souvenirs and microwaved traditional sweets.

I thought of my grandparents and how filled their shop must be right now.

And then I remember my shift tomorrow, because I can speak English.

But I pushed the thought aside and walked farther into the park, eventually using the pocket change I scraped up from my earnings to buy a coffee cup of the same green tea I had for breakfast yesterday.

And there I stood, off to the side, letting my eyes wander among the petals falling to the ground and the murmur of people.

"Hey."

"Well, look who came along!" I hold my cup to the side. "I though you hated pink."

Jotaro stands there in almost all black like always, but dusted with a few stray petals that laid across his broad shoulders and a couple on the brim of his hat, which still had the anchor pin. "I do."

I giggle. "Then why did you come out?"

"I saw you walking. Kakyoin should be here soon." He adjusts his hat. "Let's go." I didn't care where. So we walked northwards under the path together in silence.

It was unspoken that we were together, but for the benefit of the relationship I suppose we had we wouldn't show it. It was times like this, though, where I was disappointed by our agreement, where my hand itches for someone to hold it. But among the foreigners are people from school, and since Jotaro is so much taller than all of us seeing him wouldn't be a problem. Seeing him, who hated girls, hold one's hand would be a problem.

I tried to nudge the interaction. "My hands are freezing," I claimed, rubbing them together, then letting them fall back to my sides. He looks at me nonchalantly. "What do you want me to do about it?"

"Don't be an ass, Jotaro."

We turn around, and Kakyoin seems to have arrived and caught up to us. Jotaro rolls his eyes as Kakyoin joins his side and walks along with us. I smile and lean a bit forward so I can look at him while I talk - "Howzit, cherry hair?"

"Very funny," he says mockingly. Jotaro scoffs. "You should See him eat one." I have no idea what that means, but I decide not to ask.

We start a discussion about how overpriced the food is here, fueled through Kakyoin's complaint that he paid 700 yen for the worst cookie he'd ever had.

I blew on my hands again.

But when I put them to the side again, something enters them.

I twitch, startled by the sudden movement, because when I look down there is no hand holding mine, even though I feel like there is. Though, I don't protest.

Even though his hands are in his pockets, Jotaro looks at me for a second, winks, then returns to looking at Kakyoin while he talks.

I rub my neck and smile, allowing myself to grip this air-hand tighter. And we keep walking, and I guess, he holds my hand.

The handsome bastard makes me blush harder than I ever though I'd ever be able to.

I can't help but close my eyes and thank whoever's up there for today.

For him.
------
A/N
We're at the end. Bummer.