chapter 17 :: all-american aquarium (p1)

"So. Osaka today, huh?"

I look at my mom, standing over me while I eat breakfast and nod, mouth still full of cereal. "Yeah. 'Bouta be late, so I gotta hurry."

She taps her fingers against the countertop. "Are you exited?" She asks me, looking away as if she's remembering the good old days. "Ah...I can't remember my last trip to Osaka."

"We came from Osaka just this summer."

"Shh. Let me have my moment."

I smile, and then get up. "Well, I'd better leave."

Mom watches from the kitchen in disdain as I get on my backpack and my coat. I brush my hair behind my ear and we catch each other staring, and I sigh and lean against the wall. "Okay. What now?"

"It's just that..." she looks away and pouts. "I'm always at work and the one day I'm off, you're going to Osaka for the day. I wanna spend some time with you!"

I cross my arms. "Listen, I promise I'll get home as soon as I can leave, and I'll show you all the photos of the cool fish I take. Okay?"

"Okay," She giggles to herself. "Take a photo of those whales they have."

I nod, opening the door. "Any last requests?"

Mom runs her arms. "Yeah. Close the door, you're letting the cold air in."

"Hmph. I love you too."
---
It's not snowing outside, but it's nothing short of borderline unpleasant. The wind blows against my back and almost shoved me forwards as I walk, and it stings my eyes when it finds its way off the side of a building and hits me in the face.

Though my eyes are watery, the scene I can clearly see ahead makes me feel a certain kind of way. Holly and Jotaro.

Even though he's a few feet taller than her (and looks more like a grown man rather than a teenage son), he listens obediently to his mother as she likely gives him reminders to eat while he's there and not punch the staff, simultaneously putting on his gloves...for him.

I adjust my scarf and laugh to myself, fawning over the little mother-son exchange going on, and just as I thought things couldn't get any better, they did.

Holly beckons for him, and he sighs heavily (judging by the amount of fog suddenly appearing around his face) and leans over at almost a right angle for her to lift up his hat and give him a kiss on the forehead.

I guess I got too close.

Jotaro spots me walking down the sidewalk by the crunch of the snow under my feet and straightens himself, shoving his mother aside lightly and doing his little angry strut away from the inn and around the corner without any further comments or hesitation.

She lets her shoulders drop sadly, and then turns around and spots me. Her face seems to light up.

Eventually I'm close enough and she pulls me into a conversation.

"Y/N!" She holds her arms out, and it takes me a second to realize that she's going in for a hug.

We hug briefly - and a little awkwardly on my part, and then she holds me by the shoulders. "How have you been? I haven't seen you in so long!"

"I'm doing fine," I mention as I brush off the snow that has accumulated on my jeans, "and you?"

"I'm excellent," she looks with a sad smile off in the direction that Jotaro stormed off in, "a little disappointed, though."