chapter 12 :: all-american vandal

"Mom..."

"Hm?"

"I forgot my shoes at school."

Mom looks up from her magazine and peers down at my feet, still in school slippers. I had forgotten to change shoes and only remembered when I was changing out of my uniform.

"And what do you want me to do about it?" She asks smugly, putting her magazine down on the kitchen counter. I sigh heavy and hard. "Fine. I'll get them."

The street lamps are already starting to light up their usual yellow-orange against the pavement, and the cats are out. They seem to like the chill outside.

Gravel crunches under my feet as I mutter angrily to myself, thinking about how much of an idiot I am. Those damn loafers cost me half of my allowance. But as much as I don't want to walk five minutes to school, it's a Friday night in late September and I don't have anything better to or be with.

The sky is dark and the atmosphere reeks of smoke and an earthy scent. The moon glows ominously in the distance far above, and crickets harmonize in the grass.

Sometimes I wonder is my friends and I are looking at the same moon.

I mean, they're probably waking up now, and I'm going to be asleep in a matter of hours. But maybe it's early morning, you know?

I shove my hands in my faded sweater and continue onwards.

Before I know it five minutes have passed and I'm greeted by the brick and metal gates guarding our school, which are...locked.

At first I simply grab the bars and shake them, but once I realize they only bend so far I throw myself against the gates. The chains make an ear-shattering metal screech each time it meets with my side.

I sigh and put my hands on my hips, realizing that there's no way in- until I realize the wall has a few bricks loose. Just enough to do a little impromptu rock climbing.

Thankfully it supports my weight. I held my breath as I hopped up on the first brick and pressed myself against the wall, but other than a little tilt downwards, there wasn't any breaking.

I sigh, relieved, sweat already forming on my dust-stained palms.

I make it over with a little resistance, but eventually I'm able to straddle the top of the wall and look down-

I gulp once I realize how high off the ground I am.  Maybe I can jump off?

I realize I cannot about two inches from the ground.

And I land funny on my ankle.

I scream for a second before realizing I'm supposed to be quiet and clamping my hand over my mouth, but my ankle buzzed in its socket and if I haven't broke it, I sure as hell sprained it.

Limping, I attempt to stand up, holding onto the wall for some support and make my way - well, drag my foot to the metal rows of lockers.

It's kind of hard to navigate in the dark - the lockers sit under a roof that is usually only lit by sunlight in the morning, but I feel around  round and eventually identify my locker, squint to twist in the combo and do a little shoe swapping.

Finally, my school shoes are back in their home and I have regained the possession of my loafers, and I'm ready to close my locker.

However, I forgot the thing snaps onto the little magnet inside. LOUDLY.

I cringe, my hands still pressed against the cold metal, listening to the sound of my locker shutting bounce off the other lockers and escaping to the courtyard.