chapter 15 :: all-american holidays

If I were still in America, it would be Thanksgiving.

Today, as I walk to school, it occupies the spot for the daily thing that makes me mad. I know technically, It's yesterday in California right now, and everyone's probably in bed, but I just know the turkeys are coming out of the fridge soon.

I sigh, and I'm able to see it in front of me. That was my favorite part about Thanksgiving, once we assimilated. It was like the light at the end of the tunnel, a whole day of not eating and then there's a turkey. I can still taste it in the back of my throat even though it's filled with the icy morning air.

A close second for the daily aggravation is why my school lets boys wear pants in the winter but not girls, because it's "inappropriate" and "doesn't conform to the dress code". I'm freezing my butt off and all I have to keep me from getting frostbitten is my blazer, thin black stockings, and a scarf. I rub my hands together because yet again, I woke up late, and while I was so busy packing my lunch I forgot to take gloves before I left.

At least those damn loafers are keeping my feet warm.

As I get closer to school, the usual crowd is there. You know, the boys who think they're tough, the few girls and boys in their own little cliques, and of course, him.

He's joined by Kakyoin today, and somehow, the usual fanclub is nowhere to be seen. I suppose they wouldn't want to trouble themselves with getting up early to wish him off in this type of cold.

Disregarding the icy sidewalk, I dash further ahead to join them. And at their pace, I'm able to meet them easily, but at their height, they're unable to tell I'm there.

"At least those damn bitches aren't here today," Jotaro growls, his lip twitching upwards slightly in disgust. I decide now would be the perfect time to strike.

I put my hands under my chin and bat my eyelashes. "Ah, Jojo! You're looking extra tough today! Wanna eat lunch together~?" Just for him, I make the statement extra light and airy.

Both of them turn their heads in my direction. Kakyoin looks confused, and Jotaro wears an expression of sheer rage. I can tell there was a "Shut up, you fucking bitch" primed and ready behind his lips, but once our eyes meet his expression subsides into one of annoyance and he reaches up to tip his hat lower. "Shut the fuck up. You're annoying as hell," He mutters. Kakyoin and I share a laugh.

"Sure, man. Howzit?" I flip my bag behind my shoulder and return my hands to their pockets. "Aren't you cold?"

Jotaro side-eyes me, and then continues looking forward, so I assume he is. "I'm alright," replies Kakyoin, and I scoff. "I know, Kakyoin. I know."

"Isn't today Thanksgiving today in America?" asks Kakyoin, and Jotaro turns to us. "What the hell is a 'Thanksgiving'?"

I whip out a dramatic gasp, but then stop mid inhale when I realize neither of them have ever lived outside of Japan. I grin, remembering tales of Thanksgivings past. "It's only the best holiday ever!" I explain, excited to share my experiences. "America was found by Pilgrims, and they marked that date by eating the hugest dinner ever with the Native Americans. There's a whole turkey, and stuffing, which is like wet baked bread, and there's regular bread, and there's pumpkin pie, and then there's leftovers..."

As I'm counting off dinner foods on my fingers, I notice they're looking at me weird and I stop. "You might be able to tell it's my second favorite holiday." I avert my gaze downwards, a tad embarrassed. "You'd have to be there to know what I'm talking about."

"Y/N, why the fuck would you eat wet baked bread?" Asks Jotaro, just a hint of amusement in his voice. I practically hear his mouth doing the rare act of smiling in his voice.

"Call me foreign, but it's actually pretty damn good." I kick at a chunk of snow laying on the ground. "I'm also not taking opinions from boys who buy their earrings from girl stores."

Jotaro looks at me, confused, and Kakyoin gasps, one hand on his chest and the other touching his cherry earrings (which look heavy as hell, by the way). "They're from CLAIRE'S!"

"Oh, nice, did you get 'em pierced there, too?" I tease, smiling, and Jotaro scoffs. "You wish."

Kakyoin rolls his eyes. "His mommy did them for him."

Jotaro looks at him and smirks. "She did yours, too."
---
I'm doing my daily daydreaming session during Biology when someone jabs a stack of papers at me.

I turn in the direction of the stack, ready to go off on whoever just did that, but the boy simply waves the bundle at me. "Wake up. Take one, pass it down."

I roll my eyes at him. At first, I though this was just another worksheet, but upon further inspection, it's actually a...permission slip?

Teach speaks up. "As you all know, each year, the school takes the third years to the Osaka aquarium!"

Well, I'm new, so I don't know. I continue listening.

"So with our trip in less than two weeks, we're going to need to get all the permission slips signed by Friday! You'll have to provide your own transportation, so a taxi to the train station is recommended if you can't take a car or a bus. You can buy a ticket there, so please bring money!

I read over the paper. And turns out, the train station is our rendezvous point and we'll be riding the bullet there. To be honest, I'm exited. I haven't been on a train in a while, and word around town Japanese trains are top notch.

I fist-pump at the sentence that says "uniforms not required."

Some kid raises their hand. "So, as long as we pay we can get there?"

"Yes," says the teacher, exited to see the fish, "we will be going with the rest of the third year classes and it's recommended you bring a lunch. If not, there is a cafeteria there."

The class erupts and chatters excitedly to each other, talking about what awaits them at the museum. Though this trip is supposed to be educational I'm sure everyone's going to take it as an opportunity to jack around in Osaka.

I sit back in my seat, twirling my pencil around my fingers, and gaze outside.

I think I myself with a devious grin, "I can't wait to jack around in Osaka."
------
A/N
What's your favorite holiday? Halloween for me, that's the only time it's socially acceptable to dress up as a hot dog and ask strangers for sweets.