chapter 18 :: all-american bonds

When I got home from school, mom still wasn't home. Still at work.

I was a little put off - I came a little late, I stopped for a cup of tea at Grandpa's - but it's already 5:30 and she still isn't home. The sun is starting to set over the hill, and because I still haven't turned on the lights yet the sunlight comes in through the glass doors in our living room, which lights the whole house orange. I decide I won't turn them on because I feel like it will be a nice surprise when mom does it for me.

I get myself unwrapped, which is basically removing my scarf and the leg warmers mom made me wear, which is a bit of a task for my cold, red fingers.

I didn't see Jotaro today, but I'm still so embarrassed from the aquarium I decided a day's break from him wouldn't be that bad. Just a day.

The tea is making me all drowsy and I've still got to do my math and world history homework, so I get to the kitchen island and get going.

I fight to keep my eyelids open enough to read, but since we're studying American history it should be a breeze. I'm already drained from our essay on the relations of Korea and Japan through the world wars, so writing about America - shit I know about, is a nice break.

I raise my pencil to answer a question about the Louisiana purchase, but my brain stops working.

My pencil touches the paper, but I feel like a computer that's buffering, so to speak, if a human could feel such emotion.

All I could think about was him.

Well, I know that sound like some line out of sort of gaudy fan fiction, but really, you'll never know how hard it is to not think about a boy you were centimeters apart from in a locker until you're actually faced with the problem.

Here's what happened: I thought about Louisiana. Louisiana has bayous. Bayous have turtles. I bought a turtle keychain at the aquarium. Jotaro bought a dolphin because he think I wouldn't see him. I saw him. He shoved it in his pocket.

I shake my head and rub my eyes, and I decide even though I haven't started with my homework yet I should take a break to clear my head. I can't be letting a boy bounce around my head like that.

I still have half of an instant curry in the fridge, so I decide I'll push myself off my barstool and make it.

As I watch it spin around blankly in the microwave I'm not even sure how to use yet, I can practically feel my eyes glaze over as my mind wanders.

I mean, I know we were best friends during childhood and I guess we still are now, but why does this shit have to happen to me, of all people? The boy who used to vandalize Barbie dolls and make mud cakes with me pierced his ears, won't wear colors, and hates girls. Girls but me.

Girls but me.

What makes me so damn special? I mean, I'm flattered I get the privilege of ~intimacy~ with Jotaro Kujo, the thing so many girls spend their lonely nights praying for, but why didn't he choose, like, Korin with the hourglass figure and cute face and shy personality?

Like every other girl, though, she sneers at me when she passes me in the hallway because she knows all too well about me and Jotaro. Like every girl knows. And bet, there's some pretty nasty rumors going around that I've somehow managed to not hear. Like bullets, they are, and somehow I'm wearing a bulletproof vest.

Unfortunately, the microwave gets the butt of my confusion and it pushes backwards as I slam it shut.

Placing my meal down forcefully on the table, I grab a spoon. I wouldn't say I ate the curry, I more so assaulted it.