chapter 16 :: all-american chocolate

"Mom, you've GOTTA take me to Osaka! Please!"

It's Saturday morning at the L/N house. I've turned in the permission slip, but I still have the information. Mom walks around me to grab her coat, still applying lipstick."Y/N, I can't, I've got work that day! You can take a taxi."

"But mom!" I whine like a kid, admittedly, holding the paper up so she can see it, "we've got a car now!"

"Y/N, you know I have to support this family somehow. I can't take off that day because I already said I'd work overtime!" She struggles to put on her coat, inserting the wrong arm at first them slamming her tube of crimson lip gloss down on the kitchen counter and angrily adjusting herself. "I'm going to be late. Can we talk about this later?"

I sigh, knowing I can't argue with that, and let my shoulders fall. I look downwards at my socks. "Sometimes I wish you'd just quit your job."

Mom takes a second to kiss my forehead. "I know, baby, I know. We'll discuss after we get home, Okay? You're going to be late too!" She pats me on both sides of my arms and walks off. I smile weakly and wave as I watch her close the door behind herself.

I glance up at the clock and suck in air through my teeth.

She's right, I am going to be late.
---
"Sorry I'm late! I came over as fast as I could!" I say, bursting through the door. Grandma looks up at me from the register and gives me a warm smile. "No, you're just on time!" She winks. "Come on back."

Pushing through the staff-only door, I take off my coat and pick up my apron, tying it around my blue jeans. Maybe I should have not worn a swim team sweater either, but hey, they're not uniformed either, so I figured it didn't matter.

"Hey there, champ!" Grandpa's face lights up as he sees me walk into the kitchen. I hug him one handed, since he's busy fixing up a cake for someone. "How are you?" I ask with a smile, and he grins. "Just fine. Mind getting started on some chocolates for me?"

Already walking towards the cupboards, I nod. "More than pleased to."
---
"So what's going on?" I ask, now that my grandparents are both in the kitchen, "who are these chocolates for?"

"Roll your sleeves up," grandma reminds me with a pat on the arm, but then continues to explain. "Some girl wants to give them to Jojo. We appeal to the niche of schoolgirls and confession gifts."

I almost drop the spatula into the batter. "For him? Don't you guys get other orders for chocolates?"

"Yeah, but most of the orders are for him." My grandpa cackles. "Lucky boy, I remembered when the ladies loved me that much." He looks at my grandma and winks, and she groans, but smiles. "Quit being a playboy and finish the cake."

Eventually it's time to pick out the mold. Considering they're for Jotaro, I try to pick out something nice. Hearts? Of course not. I almost picked out turtle shaped molds when I spot some star ones in the back of the cabinet - so I pull them out.

Thankfully this time, I didn't spill the chocolate all over the place trying to eye out the even amounts per batter, and with a few piping of filling and our secret ingredients (caramel, coconut shreds, the like. No cherry because that's disgusting), they're in the freezer

In fifteen minutes they're out and solid. I exhale, relieved when I exhume them from the freezer, as far as I can tell, nothing went wrong. Considering I'm not much of a chef myself, I'm quite proud!

And so I decorate them. We have this dust that you can eat - it's powdered sugar, maybe? But when you brush it on pastries, it goes silver. I try to frost the edges the best I can, too.

The box I put them in is a regular old square, because I knew he'd just throw them away if they were heart shaped. To make extra sure my hard work doesn't end up in the inn dumpster a day from now, I wrap it like a present to the best of my ability.

"Did they want anything written?" I call to my grandma, the paper and pen in my hand. "Write something nice! You teenagers know about young love better than I do," She calls in response.

"I'm not writing anymore love letters!" Grandpa shouts from upstairs.

I sigh, and think a moment, before I get writing.

Jotaro,
I don't know which girl ordered these from the bakery, but I was told they were for you. I know you don't like them, so just pretend they're a thank you gift from me, Okay? I made them star shaped because I heard Kakyoin talking about you and Platinum Stars, I think. Well anyways, if they taste like shit, just toss them. I tried really hard. Maybe a bit too much. Oh well.
See you around,
-Y/N

I cap the pen and tuck my heartfelt note under the cover, then stare at the box.

"Y/N, someone is here to pick up that order!" My grandma calls.

I sigh. "It's all you now, bud. Go get 'em." I hesitate to pick up the box, then walk to the register.

Shoko.

She stands there nervous, fidgeting like she was worried she'd be spotted by someone, and once she sees me walking over with her order her face washes over with relief, and then horror.

"Y/N?!" She gasps, going red. "I-I-I didn't know you worked here!"

I laugh. "Grandparents own the place. I'm just here to help," I say, sliding the box over. "2,130 yen, please."

She fumbles with her wallet. "P-Please don't tell anyo-one," she stutters, handing me the banknotes. I ring her up and then pat her hand. "Your secret's safe with me, Okay?" I point at the box. "Don't open that. There's something for him inside."

"I'll take your word for it!" She musters confidently. "I know Jotaro's gonna like it because you made it!" I blush. "Aww, you shouldn't have."

"Bye-bye!" She exclaims, before pulling her hoodie up and trekking out into the snow.

I can't help but watch her leave with hope in my eyes.

Yeah, I hope he does.
---
When I walked home, I passed the inn. Their garbage can was sitting out front, awaiting the weekly trash collection.

I couldn't help myself.

I removed the lid and looked inside.

My box was there.

I wasn't so much upset than I was feeling defeated and a little bit annoyed, so I remove the box from the top of the pile. Making sure no one is watching first, I open it up.

Five chocolates are gone out of the fifteen I made.

So is the note.
------
A/N
Certain chocolates are cool. Some aren't. One of the uncool ones is chocolate with oranges in it.