piece two :: promises broken

California was cold in the summer, just a little. The wind blew east. The leaves on the ground stirred. A purple windbreaker flaps behind the girl walking down the sidewalk. Identical apartment blocks repeated themselves down the street as she shoved her hands inside her pockets.

She was too busy thinking about all the things she had to do tonight - a few chapters of algebra, a whole social studies packet and she had to write her entire literacy paper on Jane Eyre because she procrastinated too hard and instead, decided to occupy herself this week walking the neighbor's dogs for free. Maybe without their consent.

As she turned the corner, she wondered what she was going to eat that evening, because her mother would be at work until 6. Two hours.

The wind blew southwards.

"(Y/n)!" A voice called. She spun around and was greeted by her friend, a familiar face.

She jogs over quickly, her backpack bouncing behind her as she hurries to catch up. "Whatcha doing tonight?" She Asks. The girl shrugs. "I don't know. Do my homework until my mom comes home then eat a huge bag of chips or something."

"I thought you said American snacks tasted like sh-"

"They're okay." The girl flicks her wrist and it cracks. "I only said that because when I came to Cali, everything tasted like shit. How about you? What are you doing to tonight?"

Her friend sighs. "I've gotta do my report on the San Andreas fault." The girl sucks air through her teeth. "I haven't done my geography report either."

"What are you doing it on?"

"Taos Hum."

"Cool." Her friend hummed and the girl laughs.

They noticed they've stopped in front of a Subway once they see the neon sign shining overhead. "Pit stop?" The friend suggests. She shrugs. "Why not. We've got all night."

Yes. And two reports to write, a few chapters to read, and a packet to do.
---
They leave the shop an hour later and a few dollars poorer.

"Still think American food is bad?" Asks the friend, giving her a friendly nudge as they begin back down the street. "Shut up," responds the girl jokingly, knowing she'd be a hypocrite if she answered.

They continued down the stretch of sidewalk coming down the hill.

"Summer is coming soon," says her friend. "What are you gonna do?" Knowing what happened last year, she smirks. "Not fall into a summer fling."

Her friend gasps and then pushes her. "Stop. it." She growls. "He was cute and we worked the same summer job, okay!"

The girl laughs. "Well, if I was in a summer fling, I wouldn't make out in the supply closet, have my boss find me, and then fire me." Her friend rolls her eyes before she comes up with an idea as well. "You got a type?"

The girl frowns. "What? No. I'm not into anyone right now."

Her friend clicks her tongue knowing she's hiding something. "Come on. You don't think Tanner from Math is a cutie? Oh, and don't think I drag you to Kevin's swim meets for no reason."

"Okay, we all get you like seeing Kevin shirtless and soaked."

"I KNOW, RIGHT?! ABS IN HI-DEF!"

"Shh!" The girl covers her friend's mouth as they giggle at the remark. "You suck. Be quiet." She lets go of her friend's mouth and wipes it on her pants. "Fine. Maybe."

"Who? WHO!"

"We're in front of your house."

Her friend looks up and then looks back at the girl and frowns. "You got me this time. But I'll find out, (y/n)."

"BYE, MARCIE!" yells the girl, waving ridiculously to user the girl into the house. Her firmed scoffs as she unlocks her door, waves back, and then shuts it.

The girl laughs and continues down the hill. She starts to wonder herself if she actually has a type, but the thought is swept aside by the sudden hole opening up in her gut. She remembers her homework.

She picks up pace, jogging down the hill quickly. Eventually, she stops in front of her house, identical to the ones on the rest of the block, and pulls out her key from her backpack, the round part nail-polished a glittery shade of pink.

Fumbling with the key took a short time. She stepped inside and locked the door behind her, kicking off her shoes and mouthing an "I'm home" to the spirits of the house. Something creaked steadily in a hallway somewhere in the house. She thought of the radiator and walked into the kitchen.

Dumping the contents of the backpack onto the kitchen table, she sat down for two seconds before her stomach overtook her, even when she had just finished an Italian Sub.

She gets up from the dining room to get an apple and walks over to the kitchen, crossing through the living room.

She steps on something.

Her body freezes and she looks down.

Panties. And not hers.

She withdraws her foot quickly and groans in disgust. That's when she sees the rest of the living room.

Clothes. Strewn all over. She dry heaves a little and covers her mouth, kicking the garments aside and running to the garbage more dramatically than she needed to.

"Ew, oh my god," she repeats over and over, slowly getting up.

A door somewhere unlocks and someone walks out, panting. She freezes for a second, unsure of what to do before she suddenly runs and hides behind the kitchen island.

"I gotta get a drink!" Scolds a woman as if she's joking with someone, and a "Okay, sweetheart," follows in return. Her father.

It must be her mother, she thinks, only her dad calls her mother sweetheart-

Footsteps of someone not wearing shoes draws towards the kitchen. Her heart races more. If her mom finds her hiding during all of this she's definitely-

"Who are you?"

Young. Brunette, short hair. Clutching a towel to her chest. She stares at the girl hiding behind the island for a second before the woman's eyes widen. "Sweetheart!" She calls behind her, "who's this girl in your kitchen?"

All it takes is a muffled "oh, shit" from her parent's bedroom and suddenly, the all the pieces of the puzzle come together.

The girl's face gets hot and her eyebrows draw close. Before she can even think of the words, they come.

"GET OUT OF MY HOUSE AND DON'T COME BACK!"

The woman takes no time in carrying out the orders and scrambles to the living room. The girl sees an empty wine bottle on the counter, and without thinking picks it up. She draws her arm back and throws it, at this woman's head

just as the woman turns around.