chapter 4 :: all-american produce

Since we had moved in I had forgotten how fun decorating your room was.

Back in California my room was messy and a shade of beige reminiscent of puke, but now, I've been trying to make my perfect image of a room from a nice, organized city apartment and the actual traditional structure of the house cooperate.

I was in the middle of hanging a poster when my mom calls me from the kitchen, a twang of impatience in her voice. I roll my eyes. Though a tack is in my mouth, I muster out a "What?!"

No response. "What!" I call again. And silence follows. Either she's deaf or distracted. "WHAT?!"

"Don't speak to me like that!" She calls back. I groan and throw the tacks back into the little jar they were in and passive aggressively stomp out to the kitchen.

She looks up from her magazine and slides me a list on top of a few bills. A grocery list. Smiling as she looks at me expectantly, she asks, "Would you mind going on a grocery run for me?" I sigh. "I don't really have a choice, do I?"

She leans over and kisses my forehead. "Thanks."

Pretty soon I'm out the door with my backpack and a grocery list to fulfill. I look at it closely and thankfully, she's written it in Hiragana because my Kanji is pretty rusty. Now the only real problem I have is finding the grocery store.

Because she read one of those dumb family magazines, she told me to treat the town like a theme park. Well the thing the magazine forgot to explain is that most towns don't have those fold out maps.

But they have mascots, I guess?

Up ahead is someone in a dog costume holding a bunch of balloons. The costume isn't like the ones at home that look like someone was obviously in a dog costume, this one was...cute! He was round and had little stubby legs and arms and had a sprout growing from its head. The little name tag read "Fure".

Fure sees me coming down the street and starts waving frantically. I smile and wave back just as enthusiastically, because Fure's sheer presence, somehow, makes my day better. As I pass by, he hands me a green balloon from the bunch he's holding.

"Thanks Fure!" I grin, resisting the urge to pat his head, "would you mind telling me where the grocery store is?"

Fure raises his arms up and down a few times. I look up, and I guess I'm here. I give Fure a high five before stepping inside.

The place is about the same size as the grocery stores back home. I can see everything just standing from the door, thankfully, so grocery shopping shouldn't be any hassle today, right?

The first thing on the list is bacon, which is in the far back. I casually walk over, taking some time to look at the shelves of food I haven't seen in years or didn't recognize. I finally make it over to the meats section before grabbing a pack of bacon and putting into the little basket I grabbed, when out of the corner of my eye I spot something blue. And full of water.

My heart races because I automatically know what that means.

I laugh excitedly as I hurry over to the tank of lobsters seemingly waiting for me at the other end of the room. I press my hand and my nose to the glass as I watch them laze around. Some crawl over each other, some are just laying there. I am having the time of my life watching these guys.

"Ma'am."

"Ma'am!"

Startled, I come to my senses and look around at whoever said that. A man, probably a worker, is staring at me disappointedly from behind the tank. He adjusts his white hat and frowns at me. "Are you going to buy one?"