But I can't. I can't do that. Why not? What would be so bad if he knew the real me? Well he already knows the real me. And I can't change that now.

But something else scares me. Something that says that his fate will meet like that of Ryohnin... and I will lose him as well...

The argument plays in my head until I fall asleep.

.

.

.

.

I hear voices and noises in my slumber. My eyelids slowly open to realize that it is early morning but the sun has not yet risen. And the voice is Merry. He says Pippin's name frantically but in a whisper. But I hear a thump just then and my eyes are wide open, a frown crossing my face as I lift my head and see what is going on.

Young Pippin is on his back on the ground, holding the palantir (Saruman's black orb) as Merry shouts his name. But the orb is now a fire red, resembling... a large eye of some sort, with a black slit of a pupil. Sauron.

Pippin looks as if he cannot let go of the orb. It has taken a hold of him, possessed him. He screams but there is no sound coming from the hobbit's mouth as he flops and gasps like a fish out of water.

I jump to my feet and my eyes flash to my left. The only other ones in here are Gandalf and Gimli.

"Gandalf!" I say in worry, not knowing what to do. My eyes cannot even lock on the sphere without sending thoughts through my head, thoughts of terror, and not only that.

Just then the door behind me that leads outside bursts open, Aragorn and Legolas running into the room. Aragorn runs to the hobbit and without thinking, takes the palantir from him. Legolas tries to catch the man as he falls to his knees, not able to let go like the halfling. But he does and the evil black orb rolls to the other side of the room.

Gandalf is up now and he runs, tossing a cloak over the palantir as it roles, cutting all eyes from it.

"Fool of a Took!" he says to Peregrin as he whips around.

But Merry kneels over the hobbit and he doesn't move, staring into nothing.

I hold my breath.

The white wizard looks scared and he runs to the hobbit, knocking Merry aside and placing a hand on his forehead. He closes his eyes and whispers something, perhaps a spell.

Aragorn still tries to breathe and Legolas still has a hand on his shoulder.

I run to Pippin and Gandalf, kneeling down beside them.

Suddenly the halfling gasps for breath and his eyes move once again, Gandalf's hand resting on the hobbit's cheek.

But I cannot help but feel relieved. For a second I think we thought we had lost him.

"Look at me," Gandalf says frantically but also quietly.

He looks at the wizard, frightened. "Gandalf," he mumbles under his breath. "Forgive me." His eyes wonder.

"Look at me," Gandalf says louder and he obeys. "What did you see?" he asks firmly.

He tries to recall the vision with pain. "...A tree," he finally says. "There was a white tree in a courtyard of stone... It was dead. The city was burning."

Gandalf widens his eyes. "Minas Tirith? Is that what you saw?"

He hesitates. "I saw..." he looks terribly frightened. "I saw him."

Gandalf looks horrified.

Legolas and I exchange a frightful expression.

"I could hear his voice in my head," Pippin whispers.