23 " We've just lost one"

~~~~~
ALICE
~~~~~

I don't know what time it was when I woke up. I was still lying in the hospital bed with a drip in my left hand. I raised up on my elbows to feel comfortable on those hard pillows for a moment.

I put my fingers in my hair and took the ends of my hair. They were split, so it would be nice to cut them a little. Although four centimeters, they would regain their former splendor. I'll have to take care of myself after my miscarriage. I can't break down and sew up at home.

"What a fool I am" I said to myself when I realized that my child was gone and it was my fault. "I'm stupid, I killed him," I cried miserably, squeezing the sheet. I started to shake my head, gasping for breath.

I didn't even notice when the door opened and someone stepped inside. After a short moment, I felt someone's strong arms, covering me tightly.

"Hush" I heard FP's voice next to my ear and I calmed down. This man has always been able to calm me down so quickly.

"I'm sorry" I just whispered and hid my face in the crook of his neck.

"Don't apologize, it's not your fault" FP stroked my cheek and looked into my eyes.

"I didn't tell you everything, I hid many things from you, FP. Because of that secrets the child died"

"It's not your fault" he kissed me on my forehad. "I only want to know why you didn't tell me that you met with Edgar, Alice," he whispered sadly, and my heart broke.

"He threatened that he'll hurt Polly, FP, I was afraid of her, so I didn't say anything, I'm sorry," I cried. "Then it turned out that Polly was safe and I let myself be drawn into a stupid trap"

"Is she safe? Did you see her?" he asked, surprised, and I sighed quietly.

I knew that Polly asked me not to tell anyone that I saw her, but I decided that I didn't want to have any secrets from FP. I decided to tell him the truth.

"Yes, when I came back from the meeting, she was at home. She said that no one can know anything about her being in my house. Then my grandchildren began to crying and I passed out... "I shook my head. "What about my grandchildren? Where are they?!" I shouted, after a moment realizing that they were alone at home.

"Uncle Archie and uncle Fred take care of them."

"Good. That's good" I sighed.

"And also Polly disappeared"

"It's no news that she has disappeared," I shrugged.

There was silence between us, but it didn't bother me. I sat on the bed, wrapped in FP and didn't need anything more. I wondered if I should tell FP about my conversation with Edgar and what had happened.

"Do you want to tell me something?" he asked. Did he read in my mind?

"I'm afraid that when I say it to you, you'll leave me and you won't come back," I whispered, and he shook his head. He grabbed my chin and forced me to look into his eyes.

"Alice, I won't leave you, even if you told me that you killed a man"

"Fortunately, not this time" I smiled slightly and weakly.

"Well, tell me what's bothering you"

"Edgar told me that this child..." I put my hands on my stomach. "He said that this child is his and then he kissed me, but I didn't kiss him back. I swear" I heard the heavy sigh of FP, but I didn't look at him. I was afraid of his reaction.