19 "One way or another"

Betty and I returned home an hour later and without a word I went to my bedroom. I lay down on the bed and cover myself with a blanket. I didn't want to talk to Betty about what happened. I knew that my daughter was just as shocked as I was.

"Mom" I heard Betty's voice and I opened my eyes. I looked at her and covered my face with my hands.

"I'm sorry, Betty" I said. "I know You're mad at me and I understand it"

"No, mom. I'm not mad at you" Betty sat next to me.

"I need help, Betty," I said and sat on the bed. I looked at my daughter.

"You don't talk about this cult?"

"Maybe I'll sound like a madwoman, but I really felt free in this cult" I whispered. "And now I have so much on my head" I took a deep breath, and Betty shook her head.

"No, mom, you don't need this cult," she said firmly and grabbed my hand. "You have me" she added and hugged me tightly.

"That's why I want to move to your grandparents for a few days," I shrugged. I was in a moment of my life, in which everything was indifferent to me.

"No, Mom, running away from problems isn't a good idea." Betty shook her head and looked into my eyes. "You must stay here in Riverdale, here is your place," she added quietly.

"I don't know what to do anymore", I answered in resigned tone and got out of bed. "I will go for a walk or go shopping"

"Mom, are you sure you can drive the car?" Betty looked at me doubtfully.

In fact, I didn't have the strength to go anywhere, but I decided that a trip to the town center would make me better.

"I don't know, Betty" I shook my head and picked up my car keys from the bedside table.

"Mom!" Betty grabbed my hand and looked at me. I didn't stand it anymore and crashed.

"What, Elizabeth?" I asked loudly, gesturing with my hands. "You want to tell me everything will be okay? No, it won't be good," I added and breathed heavily. "I am shattered, I am messed, I can't live with the awareness of how many things weigh on me, I can't deal with it any longer!"

"You have me, Mama, we can handle it together!"

"Betty, I'm pregnant, not you." I whispered. "Maybe I should go voluntarily to the sisters of quiet mercy?" I laughed miserably. "I'm perfect for this stupid place," I added and shook my head.

"Don't say that!" my daughter snarled and grabbed my shoulders. "Tomorrow will be better, you understand?

"I will," I nodded. "But I'll still feel hopeless, Betty," I added and withdrew from her. "I'll come home before midnight" I left the bedroom and then went out of the house.

I wanted to be alone, completely alone. When I got into the car I didn't know where to go. I took a deep breath and leaned my head against the steering wheel to think for a moment about the place where I could go. Maybe the river? Maybe Pop? No, because FP has a night shift today. The stores were already closed because it was 9 pm.

After a short while I sat down normally in a car seat and looked at the house where Edgar once lived. Something was wrong there. I knew that Heather still lives here, probably until the end of December.

I got out of the car, curious about the music I heard from the house opposite. I knew it was crazy and dangerous to enter an alien estate, but curiosity was stronger. I went to a tall fence covered with ivy. My heart beat hard in my chest, and my breathing quickened when I saw a fire in front of me and people in white robes.