Chp. 21 Happy Birthday Little Bro

“There is much asked and only so much I think I can or should answer, and so, in this post I would like to give a few thoughts on what seemed to be the overwhelming question: “WHY?”
And here is the best answer I can give: Because.
Because sometimes, life is damned unfair.
Because sometimes, we lose people we love and it hurts deeply.
Because sometimes, as the writer, you have to put your characters in harm’s way and be willing to go there if it is the right thing for your book, even if it grieves you to do it.
Because sometimes there aren’t really answers to our questions except for what we discover, the meaning we assign them over time.
Because acceptance is yet another of life’s “here’s a side of hurt” lessons and it is never truly acceptance unless it has cost us something to arrive there.
Why, you ask? Because, I answer.
Inadequate yet true.” – Libba Bray

Christmas was upon us. Literally, it was tomorrow. And here at the Burrow, it would be pretty down because of: Percy being an ass, Hermione mad at Ron and somewhat at Harry, Tonks trying to get Remus’ attention, and Draco stuck in a house full of death eaters and some creep with no nose.

I groan as I fall back against my bed. Dinner was almost ready but I had no appetite. I just wasn’t hungry. I hadn’t been able to eat well since…well I just haven’t had a hunger for anything.

“Get up” Ginny barks as she walks into our room. I shake my head. She had been characteristically unsympathetic and strict when it came to me by myself. Just because of the ‘incident’, she and Hermione no longer trusted me. I grudgingly conceded to their reasoning.

“Jacky, you have to get up. You’ve been out of this room for meals and bathroom breaks, but nothing else! Hermione’s going to kill me if she hears I let you mope.” Ginny guilt tripped me.

“It’s not your responsibility to look after me.” I retorted.

“It is too! You have always taken care of me. Taken care of all of us. What kind of friend am I to let you waste away? I’d be shamed if I didn’t do this.” I look up just in time to see her wave her wand and find myself on the floor.

“You flipped my mattress?” I complain, picking myself off the ground. She smirks and wriggles her hand at me.

“Up, downstairs, now.” I follow her sullenly.

“Ginny, I really don’t want to be around people right now.” I reason.

“It’s the holidays and you’re a guest. It’s polite to show your face.” She shot back. I pull my shoulders closer and wish I could apparate to my room. Or to Draco.

My mind trails off at his name. It’s only been two weeks since the funeral, and consequently the beginning of my relationship with him. He didn’t ask, and nor did I. It just sort of…fell into place. I had run into him the next day, down by the lake, and he simply slipped his hand into mine and we went for a walk, neither of us saying a thing. We didn’t have to. We were together, like we were always meant to be.

“Hello? Anyone there?” I startle and focus on the face in front of me. I jump back with forced cheerfulness.

“Ah! A ginger!” My shriek is false too, but it makes Fred smile nonetheless.

“Bask in my sexiness, Jacky. Bask in it.” He spreads his arms out and puffs his chest out. I roll my eyes and let my shoulders slump as I sit into my chair next to Ginny. She’s watching Harry as he jokes with Ron about Quidditch. I turn to look at Gred and Forge across from me.

“So what are you sods doing at the table? The dog bowls are around back.” Silence settles for a moment, and I look nervously around the table. Everyone’s staring at me in shock. I open my mouth, to apologize or ask what’s with the looks, when Mrs. Weasley breaks out into a wide smile and laughs slightly. Fleur is nodding approvingly while Bill roars with laughter. Harry and Ron smile hopefully at Ginny and then all three smile with relief in my direction. I turn to Gred and Forge, only to find their seats empty.