Chp. 17 The Wrenching Throes of Grief

Author’s Note: I snuck away from the hag (she doesn’t deserve the name witch…) to use the internet and post this chapter real quick. By hag, I mean sleep. I refuse to sleep! Sleep is evil! Also, thank UnicornofHogwarts for this update today as well. She voted the 200th vote and added enough reads, along with tons of other people who I do not know, to reach my requirements. So I love all of you guys, you’ve made a seriously crappy day somewhat better. Vote and read and comment to make it completely better? Enjoy!

p.s. This life-changing idea of Harry Potter belongs enviously to J.K. Rowling, the queen of our childhoods.

p.p.s. Please don’t kill me for this chapter! I am not responsible for the things that happen in this chapter! (Even though I both thought of and wrote it…but that is beside the point!)

……………………………………………………………………………………………

“Youth offers the promise of happiness, but life offers the realities of grief.” – Nicholas Sparks

Later that day…

I watch as she tickles Finnegan, trying to get her quill back. Laughing and smiling and generally being happy. That weird feeling was still in my chest. It was messing with my mind. I found myself actually looking forward to today’s classes, just to see her. And today I had Transfiguration with her right before lunch.

I shook my head. I have to stop thinking about her like this! I was an accomplished Occlumens so the Dark Lord couldn’t read all of my mind. I could actually hide things from him. It was my only safe haven. My mind.

Even though he sent me nightmares constantly to remind me that I had a time limit. I had already passed on the poisoned mead to Slughorn from Rosmerta. So I didn’t have to worry about anything except that damn cabinet which wasn’t working. It could send a damn apple, but not anything live.

“If you’ll please begin to work on the Epoximise charm for tomorrow’s quiz.” Flitwick directed. I sigh and pick up my wand, focusing on the pillow and the piece of wood before me.

“Wave your wand to the left more.” I look at Grace, sitting next to me. She was grinning impishly at me so I waved it to the right instead.

BANG!

I jump as a jet of blue fire erupts from the wand.

“I didn’t even say an incantation!” I protest. She chuckles.

“I did” I glare at her playfully.

“That’s pretty impressive, directing your magic out of another’s wand.” Blaise comments on the other side of me. She leans forward to see him, the side of her body brushing my chest and causing me to catch my breath, stopping myself from leaning forward and burying my face in her hair. Salazar, I need to get a grip.

“Thank you Blaise. And thanks for last night. My back feels so relaxed.” She joked. Blaise actually blushes a little.

“Don’t mention it. Really. I have a reputation to keep.” She laughed again and focuses back on her work.

“Epoximise!” She waves her wand to the left, and the pillow suctioned the piece of wood to it. She hands it to me to test. I tug at it, yanking and pulling but no use.

“Ten points to Gryffindor!” Flitwick praised as he passes. She thanks him and sets up to do the counter-charm. Her brow was set in concentration and she was biting her lip slightly. I found myself staring at her again. A wisp of brownish-black hair was lying on her forehead, curling slightly. Her eyes were stormy with focus and I wanted to brush the hair from her face and take her in my arms and—