1:9 - headaches

Alex woke up with yet another headache. He couldn't remember anything at all, as he gained consciousness, the sun shining through the window.

Then it came to him.

"Jamie...Mi...Miles-"

"Shhh..." He heard a voice, and a cold hand pressed against his cheek.

"Miles...where's Jamie?" Alex's eyes fluttered open, and there was Miles, sitting next to him on a chair.

"Resting."

"What the fuck happened? What did I do to him?" Alex questioned, pinching the bridge of his nose.

Miles hesitated, before answering. "Your eyes...they turned black. Entirely. And you weren't yourself, you bit Jamie's shoulder, and you sucked so much blood, Al."

Alex was ashamed of himself. He'd fatally injured his best friend. "I'm...I'm a fucking monster."

"No, no you're not." Miles soothed. "Jamie's alive. He's getting better now."

"God...Miles, you should leave."

"No, I'm not leaving. Not yet." Miles told him. "How are you feeling?"

"Physically, okay. Mentally, not very good."

Miles wrapped his arm around Alex and pulled him up out of bed. "Let's try and walk." The human supported the vampire out of the bedroom, the clean, white dressing gown wrapped around his body. Alex leaned into Miles, taking in his scent of cologne and leather. He felt safe when he could smell it, and not blood.

Miles opened the door to Jamie's room, and the now pale man was lying there, in his bed, hooked up to a drip.

"Alex." Miles said, quietly.

The vampire looked over at the man, waiting for him to continue. Miles's eyes looked tired and upset.

"What made you do that? Why did you want to hurt Jamie?"

"I-I..." Alex stuttered, trying to come up with some sort of explanation. He didn't even know himself why he'd acted so violent towards Jamie.
"Don't know..."

Miles scoffed. "You don't know? You don't just do that, Al. You've nearly killed your best friend!"

"I'm telling you, Miles, I don't know." Alex said firmly. He was sure of himself, he knew what he did was wrong but he had no control over himself when it happened. "I felt dizzy, and I heard a voice. Telling me to kill Jamie." Alex grimaced at what he was saying. Yet it was the truth. "And then...for some reason, I felt like I had to obey. Like, I had no other choice."

Miles looked down at the man sincerely. He could understand, at least in some way. "It's alright." He said, soothingly. "I promise."

"It's not. I can't let this happen again." Alex said, his voice slowly starting to break as he realised what needed to happen. "Miles, you need to leave. I put you in danger, as well as everyone in this house."

"No, Alex, I'm not leaving." Miles protested, his hands landing on Alex's shoulders. Alex got the chills, just from the touch of Miles's godlike, sculptured hands.

"I want you to be safe." Alex replied, thinking through his next words. "I love you, Miles. I don't want to be the reason you die."

Miles's expression was unreadable, to Alex. "Is that how you really feel about me?"

"Yes. It's the truth. It's always been the truth." Alex blurted out. He may as well know.

"Do you really want me to leave?"

Alex slowly nodded his head, looking down at the floor. "It's for the best."

"I'll leave. Later. Not yet."

It broke Alex to think of a life without Miles. He couldn't remember what life was like before he met Miles, and yet it was only a few days ago. But it would be better. He'd get over his feelings for the human, and he wouldn't get hurt.

They heard movement, and looked over at Jamie's stirring body. Alex rushed over, placing his hands on Jamie's arms when his eyes opened.

"Jamie, I'm so sorry, I can't believe what I did and I'll never forgive myself after-"

"Alright, Al, calm it." Jamie sighed. "I'm okay. Just something we can put behind us, alright?"

"Yeah. Something we can put behind us." Alex repeated.

"Matt came into the room when it happened. He hit you over the head with a frying pan." Miles spoke up.

"And that's why my head hurts." Alex rolled his eyes. "Do you want something to eat Jamie?"

"No, thanks. I think it's best we find out why you did that." Jamie said. "I know that wasn't you last night. Even though I barely remember anything, all I know is that that wasn't you."

"No, he isn't me." Alex stood up, swiftly walking out of the room. Miles followed shortly after, calling his name.

"What do you want?" Alex asked, clearly irritable.

"What do you mean he?"

Alex sighed. "I wasn't always a vampire, Miles. My family weren't even vampires for a long time. Not until...well..."

"Alex, if you don't want to tell me-"

"No. I'm going to tell you." Alex interrupted, before putting his words together. "We were pretty normal. Living in this house, my father a businessman. And one day, a vampire broke into the house, and bit my parents, turning them. Then he found me, I was only a child, and he bit me too. My childhood was ruined because of that one event. We had to keep it secret, otherwise the town would hate us. We pretended we were normal." Alex had broken down at this point, tears cascading down his face. "And then...the car crash. And the murder. Whoever the fuck it was. Your dad, anyone. I don't care. I'll find that motherfucker."

Miles wrapped his arms around the vampire and held him tightly, letting him sob into his shoulder. Alex felt like a vulnerable child, his heart racing as he cried and cried.

"That's why I call it he. Because I know it's not me. I didn't ask to be like this, Miles. I hate everything about me, everything." Alex confessed, breaking Miles's heart.

"I know you didn't, Al. Come on, it's okay." Miles ran his hand through Alex's hair, calming the man. "You're not a monster. You're as human to me as anyone else."

"I'm a wreck, that's what I am. I fell in love with someone who isn't even the same species as me."

"Al, you're still human. I believe that, okay? Come on now, let's get you something to eat."

Miles helped Alex down the stairwell, cradling him tightly. Alex felt much safer, like his nightmares were slowly being crushed by something.

That something being Miles Kane.