1:4 - perhaps beautiful

trigger warning: talk of violence

Alex apologised for his violent behaviour, and to make up for it he invited Miles out into the gardens. The Turner Gardens were a few acres big, consisting of statues and sculptures, tall hedges and small ponds with koi fish lazily swimming around. There were many flower bushes, and two fountains sat on either end of the gardens which birds sometimes washed at.

Alex's favourite spot in the gardens was the gazebo, made of old, white painted wood. A bench was sat in there, and the roof shielded Alex from rain whenever he wanted to write or draw outside. Climbers were attached to the poles and small shrubs were planted around the circular structure. On this day, it was particularly sunny, so Alex gladly sat with Miles at a picnic bench not too far down from the gazebo, where a maid brought out some breakfast for Miles: a china plate consisting of fried eggs, sausage, beans, buttered toast, hash browns...a full English. Miles didn't have much of an appetite usually, but that morning he was particularly hungry.

"Aren't you going to have anything?" Miles asked Alex, who was daydreaming.

"Pardon? Oh, no. I've...eaten already."

Alex went back to staring behind Miles, making the human raise an eyebrow. "Why do I get the feeling you're lying to me, Turner?"

Alex's cheeks turned crimson, as he tapped his fingers against the wooden surface. "Why would I lie, Mister Kane?"

"You're blushing, Turner. Tell me, did you bite into a wolf's flesh this morning? Or did you have eggs on toast instead?" Miles asked sarcastically.

Alex stopped drumming his fingers against the table. The vampire slowly took a deep breath, inhaling the fresh air. "I haven't tasted a human's blood in a long time. When I saw you, my bloodlust took over...and I couldn't help myself. I'm so used to animals, that when it comes to biting into a human's flesh, it makes me really sick. And I didn't feel like eating this morning..."

"When was the last time you sucked a human's blood?" Miles questioned, biting into some toast. He was unnaturally comfortable talking about his own species being bitten into, even whilst eating.

Alex looked up thoughtfully. "About...I'd say almost six months."

"Will you eat something for me?" Miles asked. "You need to eat, Turner."

"I can go on for a while without food, it's just blood that I need. I'm a vampire, Miles. You don't know what I need." Alex rolled his eyes, constricting how upset he looked.

Alex didn't wish to be a vampire. He'd much rather be normal, and eat normal food with normal people and have a normal life. But he wasn't normal. He never could be. He envied Miles.

"You're as human to me as anyone else in this house."

Alex scoffed. "You do realise Matt's a ghost, right?"

"Kind of figured that one out for myself. I was trying to compliment you, but whatever." Miles sighed and went back to eating.

Alex suddenly felt bad for pointing out the obvious. Miles was only trying to be nice.

"Thank you." He mumbled.

Miles looked up and smiled. "No problem."

"You know, you don't have to say that. Especially since I've attacked and threatened you, not even within the space of a day."

"Hm, like I could forget that." Miles pushed his food around his plate with his fork, almost inaudible scratching noises being made by the small gesture.

Alex sighed. "I'll never forgive myself for that. Especially since we're friends now."

Miles almost choked on a bean. "Friends?"