1:3 - save it for the morning after

trigger warning: mild swearing, talk of violence

Miles was woken by the sunlight peeping through a gap in unfamiliar curtains. The man didn't remember much from the night before, other than the vampire and his bite. His shoulder was still in pain, but it felt healed.

"Hiya." A voice said. Miles jumped, sitting upright and his bare chest showing. A man was sat in front of him, but he didn't look entirely human like. He looked translucent; almost see-through.

"Wh-What the fu-where am I?" Miles asked.

"Hey, calm down, mate. I'm Matt." The strange man said calmingly. "Remember last night? Alex...he took you back here."

Miles nodded. "Right."

"Are you hungry? I can ask one of the maids to get you breakfast."

"Thanks..." Miles wasn't used to this kind of hospitality. "Where's Alex?"

"He's out at the moment. I'll let you know when he's back. What would you like for breakfast?" Matt asked.

"I-I don't mind...I've got a hangover, but-"

"I know just the thing. I'll see you later, Mister Kane."

Matt left the room, leaving Miles to himself. The man noticed his clothes on the chair, looking extraordinarily clean.
He got out of bed and drew the curtains, letting in the daylight that looked over the woods. Miles grabbed his white dress shirt and black jeans, putting them on and checking himself out in the mirror. He felt skinnier in this mirror, as he turned it around and checked out his arse, specifically.

The door clicked open, making Miles jump, embarrassed from the pose he was in. It was Matt.

"Sorry, Mister Kane. Uh, Alex is here."

Miles nodded, rolling up his sleeves. He followed Matt down the wide corridors and staircases. They reached the morning room, dedicated to the colour beige.

Perched in an armchair was Alex, wearing a black dress shirt and beige trousers. His hair was messy, most of it tied up into a messy bun, and brown loafers on his feet.

"Al." Matt spoke.

Alex looked up from the book he was reading, and noticed Miles. He set the book aside and walked towards the man.

"Good morning, Miles. I hope you slept well."

Matt left them alone, leaving Miles to gulp in Alex's domineering presence.

"I hope we're on good terms after last night, Miles. I don't want to intimidate you."

"It's alright."

"Does it still hurt?" Alex asked.

"A little."

"May I?" Alex asked, using his fingers to hold the collar of Miles's shirt.

Miles nodded, as Alex unbuttoned the first button of his shirt, so he could see the teeth marks on his shoulder.

Alex examined it carefully, touching it lightly with his fingertips. "I'm terribly sorry to have hurt you. But it is healing, at least."

Alex's presence was alluring to Miles. He wanted to hate him. He did hate him. He hated this vampire with every fibre in his body. After what happened to his dad, he had a reason to hate vampires. Every single one of them. But there was something about Alex that Miles couldn't quite put his finger on.

"Now, Mister Kane, we have something to discuss. Will you take a seat?" Alexander gestured to the plush beige loveseat, which Miles sat down on. Alex sat down next to him, crossing one of his legs over the other. "Tea?"

Alex showed him the silver tea set on the table. "Yes, please. Thanks." Miles responded, before answering Alex's questions about how Miles liked his tea.

"I told you this last night, but I am going to reiterate it. Your father, a vampire hunter, am I correct?"

"He killed a lot of vampires in his time. I have no idea what significance your family had to him. I swear. He did it for a living." Miles explained, trying to clear his father's name.

"Why would your father put my parents in a car crash and then kill them? It doesn't make sense to me at all, Mister Kane."

"Look, if you tell me your name, I might be able to help you." Miles suggested. "I don't know what else I can give you."

"Turner. My parents were killed, but not me. Why not me? Why was I not killed?"

"Wait, Turner? Turner as in...the renowned business family of vampires Turner?" Miles furrowed his eyebrows. This was interesting...and not to mention confusing.

"Yes, that would be us. Why? Do you know more?" Alex was intrigued. Maybe he could finally get to the bottom of this.

Miles picked up his cup of tea and blew on the steaming liquid. Alex watched in awe, admiring the way humans acted, and imitated Miles exactly, raising the cup to his mouth and blowing on it. "You're wrong, Turner, my father didn't kill your parents. It was your parents who killed my father."

Alex almost spat out his tea. "Sorry, Mister Kane, it's you who must be mistaken. I know the entire story, of how your father caused the car crash and brutally murdered my parents."

Miles was angry. He knew he was right. "No, your parents were angry by the way my father treated vampires, so it was them who brutally murdered him! Fuckin' arseholes."

"Watch your mouth, Kane." Alex spat, standing above Miles and pointing a finger at him. "I could have you right here and now, your mangled body right here on the carpet, and don't you forget that!"

Miles felt himself backing further into the loveseat. Alex was becoming more and more intimidating. The human swallowed the the tacky lump in his throat, before regaining his confidence. "Who even told you that my dad killed your parents?"

"A good friend of my father's, a Mister Damian. Why?"

"Damian? Damian was a friend of my father's too. He told me that your parents killed my dad."

Alex stayed silent for a moment. "Well...Damian is a common name."

"With an A or an E?"

"A..." Alex mumbled.

"Old man? Always dressed in mismatched suits and smells like really expensive cigarettes?"

That sounded like Damian alright.

"Something's fishy here." Alex sighed. "Mister Kane, how would you like to join me in asking our dear friend about this? Despite our differences, it appears we've both been lied to."

"Sounds like a plan."

"I'm sorry for...threatening you, Mister Kane." Alex apologised, scratching the back of his neck.

"It's alright. And, it's Miles. Mister Kane sounds too...formal."

"Are we..." Alex hesitated, before speaking again, "friends, now?"

Miles shrugged. "Whatever."

Alex grinned widely. Despite his fangs, the man had a lovely smile. He seemed genuinely happy, that he had a new friend.

Miles didn't really want to consider Alexander his friend. Even if they'd both been tricked, he'd been brought up to despise vampires, considering his father killed them for a living.

There was something different about Alexander Turner. Something that made Miles feel strange on the inside. But he wasn't about to let him know that. Not yet at least.