1:1 - the turner house

The House of Turner could only be described as a few things - large and brooding. Its old, reddish-brown bricks had been their for centuries, being hidden by a forest on top of a hill. No one dared go near.

The tall towers and turrets intimidated any soul, and stories of those who came in and out were frightening.

Alexander Turner was the son of David and Penny. He had inherited this house after the death of his family, and looked after it since. He used to be lonesome, a seventeen year old boy living in a large house. Even with his servants and cooks. So he became a businessman, and invited more people like him to live there.

Even with the intimidating aura, Alex considered himself a friendly person. Perhaps too friendly, but only sometimes. He was a businessman, who didn't have to be friendly. He made exceptions, but for certain few.

Alex's bedroom was grand, decorated with mahogany and black velvet. It had a slightly sensual and sinister aura to it. Alex was relaxing in there one evening, reading a book, when Jamie, his friend, walked in.

"Al? We need to talk."

"Yeah, sure."

"Can you...close the curtains?" Jamie asked hesitantly. He was still hiding behind the oak door to the room.

Alex nodded, understanding what Jamie meant. The man stood, and walked over to the rich, velvet curtains and pulled them over the large window that looked out onto the gardens. He then switched a lamp on, and Jamie opened the door widely.

"Someone's here to see you. They claim to know about...about your family. About what happened. And who did it."

Alex was ridden with shock, by decided not to show it. He kept a straight face, and buttoned up his black blazer. "And where is this person now?"

"The living room." Jamie responded.

"Thank you, Jamie. Inform them that I will be down soon."

Jamie left the room and shut the door. Alex sighed in relief. After all this waiting and researching, he would finally find out what happened. Unless this person was a liar...in which case Alex would pounce.

Alex checked his appearance in the full-length mirror inside his wardrobe. The bearded man was wearing a white dress shirt, the two top buttons undone, revealing the golden chain around his neck and his prominent collarbone. The smart, ruby red trousers with thin golden lines down the side of his legs fitted his shape nicely, and his black loafers with intricate detailed patterns too. Alex's long and greasy hair was hanging above his shoulders, and all this was a rather casual look for the man. He could dress more extravagantly, if he wanted. But tonight would be simple. And truthful.

Alex made his way down the grand staircase, when he realised he was satisfied with his look. The living room was just around the corner. The door was wide open already, so Alex stepped inside. The walls inside were towering and covered with old oil paintings. A large fireplace against one wall held a mantelpiece containing several photographs of Alexander's family, and a vase of roses, his mother's favourite.

The curtains were made of red velvet and they covered the grand windows; the curtains must always be pulled at night. On the plush red sofas in the centre of the room, sat Jamie, and another man.

This new man was older than Alex, around fifty or maybe even sixty, at a push. Grey, wispy hair on his head and chin only added to that, and this man was black clad.

"Mister Turner, what a pleasure." The man claimed, rising from his seat. Alex gladly strode over, to the man who was holding out his hand.

Alex shook it firmly, feeling the old man's calloused fingers and palm. "Indeed. And who do I have the privilege of speaking to?"

"Damian, sir." The old man replied.

"Would you like a drink, Damian?"

"Your friend here has already offered me one. I must say, you have a fine collection of whiskeys."

"Ah, yes, well, I have been collecting over the years." Alex sat down next to Jamie, gesturing for Damian to sit as well.

From sitting opposite the old man, Alex sensed something about him. Something familiar, even if he knew he had never met his man before.

"So, Damian, I hear you have...come to me, for information about my family. Would you care to...elaborate?" Alex questioned, pouring himself a glass of Bulbeit whiskey.

"Well, I was in fact a friend of your family's. I grew up next to your father, a very kind man. I knew about the whole...secret, in your family-"

"Yes, please, but I want to know who killed them." Alex interrupted, after taking a sip of his drink.

"Alright, well...you see, this whole secret got out in some way, only to one person. As secrets do. A rather famous...hunter, came looking for your parents. And then of course, the car crash."

"My family didn't die in a car crash. I've been told they did my whole life, but I know it's a lie, Damian. Now, if you'd like to tell me the truth, I would be most appreciative, or there may be...consequences."

Damian gulped as Alex flashed one of his signature grins, showing off his sharp teeth. Jamie touched Alex's thigh, a signal for him to stop.

"Mister Turner, I speak nothing but the truth. The hunter was the man who caused the car crash, and then...he brutally murdered your parents."

"Y-Yes...yes, okay." Alex replied. His pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed.

"I'm terribly sorry, Mister Turner. When I found out you were trying to find out what happened, I had to come and talk to you." Damian said, reassuringly.

"Who was this...hunter, you speak of?" Alex questioned, his eyes fixed to the floor. He grimaced as he spoke the words that felt like venom.

"Kane. I'm afraid I'm not aware of his first name, but Kane. Not with an I, not with a C. But K-A-N-E." Damian responded.

Alex looked up at Damian. "Where does this Kane man live now?"

"As far as I'm aware, he's still living in town. Most of his nights are spent in the woods nearby, hunting vampires."

I won't let him get away with this.

"Jamie, I'm going out." Alex said suddenly, rising from his seat. "If you would see our guest here either to something to eat or outside, then that would be great."

Alex glided out of the living room, wringing his hands. Jamie and Damian followed soon after.

"Al, where are you going?" Jamie asked, as Alex buttoned his grey trench coat around his body, the collar upturned.

"To find the man who killed my family. I shan't let him get away with murder of innocents, no matter our species." Alex exclaimed, wrapping a burgundy scarf around his neck, and opening the grand front doors. And with that, the man set off into the town, with a mission and a plan.