1:7 - the element of surprise

trigger warning: violence, swearing

Miles woke up with one of the worst hangovers he'd ever experienced in his life. There was no sign of Alex's presence there last night, except maybe the smell of red wine and the closed curtains. Miles stretched out of bed and pulled the curtains back, letting the sunlight in.

Pain pulsating through his brain, Miles tried to recall the events of last night. Alex had gotten scared about Jamie walking past the open window. Why?

Maybe this had something to do with Jamie's secret.

Someone knocked at his door, then opened it.

It was one of the maids, holding a tray of food.

"Mister Turner asked me to give this to you."

Miles thanked the woman as she set the tray down on the bed, then left the room.

There was a piece of paper on the tray, with neat, cursive handwriting.

Miles,
I apologise sorry for yelling last night. If you would forgive me, please meet me under the gazebo in the garden at precisely 10:30am.

- Alex

Miles couldn't help but smile at Alex's formality. He got dressed into a red shirt and tight black jeans that were in the wardrobe and ate breakfast, before heading downstairs and out into the garden.

The birds chirping above him, Miles walked towards the gazebo. Alex was sitting there on the bench, his hair in a bun again, wearing the same clothes from the night before. He looked content, sitting there with a small notebook, scribbling something down.

"Hey." Miles said, as he walked up the steps.

"You came." Alex said, surprised.

"Yeah." Miles nodded, standing in front of him.

"I'm sorry. About last night. It was extremely unprofessional of me. I drink with a lot my business partners, but I swear I'm not like that when I'm drunk. I don't usually demand people to do things. You don't have to forgive me, but if you want to stay on board then-"

"Look, Al, it's not that big of a deal. I'm fine. I didn't think much of it, really." Miles interrupted.

"Do you mean that?" Alex asked.

"Every word."

Alex smiled warmly. "Would you like to come inside? We have something to discuss."

"Of course."

The two men made their way back inside the house, Alex mumbling words that Miles couldn't quite piece together.

Inside, Alex led Miles to the entertainment room. Alex sat down on the grand piano and played a whimsical tune.

"That's nice." Miles said, when he finished. "Did you write it?"

"Yes. I have this other song I've written on guitar, but I have no idea for any vocals."

"Play it for me."

Alex brought out his guitar and played the cute little tune. Miles started humming along, before writing lyrics down and showing them to Alex.

"And then we could have a chorus, which could sound like this..."

Miles took the guitar and sang along. Alex was impressed with Miles's music ability. He had no idea he was so talented.

"We'll get back to this soon. For now, I'm wondering...would you like to come along to Damian's now? Perhaps we can talk to him about our queries."